Hakuouki SSL: Chapter 3 (Toudou Heisuke)

 

Chapter 3

Here’s chapter 3 of Heisuke’s route! Translation of this chapter was done by shizuumi and yuugs, with proofreading by KittenSparkles, kuririn, yuugs, and dei-hime. Enjoy!

 

Time flew by, and soon enough it was already October.  As the season gradually began to feel cooler, our winter uniforms came out. But midterms were approaching again, and you could feel that the whole school was on edge...

Things were different from the first term, when people weren't ready at all. You could tell that everyone was able to prepare well in advance. Then, as we overcame that huge ordeal, the next thing that awaited us was...

Sanosuke Harada: "Well, those of you who actually read the school calendar for public events will know this already..."

At the beginning of morning homeroom, Harada-sensei began to write 'Today's Agenda'  at the edge of the blackboard in big letters. After he finished writing, he turned back this way, and smacked his hands on his lectern with a thud.

Sanosuke Harada: "The cultural festival's at the end of this month. Every year, for the Hakuo Academy Cultural Festival, it's customary for classes to judge other classes’ programs by voting for their favorite. After considering several of the best picks, the class who snatches an uncontested, overall win will receive a wonderful prize."

Chizuru Yukimura: "A wonderful...prize?"

Classmate A: "No way, is it a million dollars? Or a trip to Hawaii!?"

Sanosuke Harada: "C'mon, now... Get your head out of the clouds. Last year's prizes were discount coupons for the school cafeteria for the whole class. In all likelihood, they'll be the same this year."

Classmate A: "...Discount coupons for the cafeteria… I dunno how happy I should be about this..."

Classmate B: "It'd be weird if people wanted them that much, that's for sure..."

Everyone's shoulders dropped simultaneously after receiving such a let-down. You could tell just by looking that everyone was disappointed. Despite our low spirits, though, there was one within our ranks who felt entirely the opposite.

??? : "...Discount coupons? For the cafeteria...?"

His chair screeched with a clatter, and he bounded to his feet without a second thought.

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "Hey, you guys... This is one fight we can't afford to lose."

Classmate A: "What're you getting so fired up for...? What's gotten into you, Ibuki?"

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "You moron! The cultural festival, that's what! The cultural festival! It's a once-in-a-year chance for us to bond as a class! This event is more than key! It's vital! Don't say it's annoying, meaningless, or whatever — get your head in the game!!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "......"

I couldn't quite put my finger on it. What he was saying wasn't wrong, but it felt like he was kind of a bit...intense...

Harada-sensei looked amused, watching the state of the class.

Sanosuke Harada: "Well, it's good if you’ve got the motivation for it. And you'll have me teaching for first period, so you're just in luck." He checked the time with a glance, then looked around at all of us as he spoke. "You guys wanna decide on a program right away? It'll also give us more time to get ready if we decide earlier."

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "I'm all for it! I plan on leading the charge! The more time we get, the better!"

Classmate A: "The man reeks of desperation, but I'm in favor, too. Not just for class stuff. It seems fun as well."

Sanosuke Harada: "Alright, then it's decided. Well, I'm gonna head back to the staff room for a bit. Think about what you wanna do while I'm gone."

Chizuru Yukimura: "A program for the cultural festival, huh..."

While I started to think about the cultural festival, I opened up my notebook to brainstorm.

Then first period came. Although we carried out another discussion on what program we should do for the cultural festival...

Sanosuke Harada: "Well, not that these are bad ideas… But none of them are a shoe-in, really."

It was a shame, but Harada-sensei was right. A drama performance, a café, an exhibition booth… There were a lot of proposals that seemed interesting, but it would've been difficult to say that any one of them could guarantee us a win for sure… 

The discussion continued, and time marched on.

But then, Ibuki-kun abruptly stood up. His eyes swept across the rowdy classroom, and he made a decisive announcement:

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "There's only one answer... Our class program will be a maid café!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "A-A maid café...?"

He didn't care how bewildered we were, utterly serious as he mustered the courage to deliver a fervent speech.

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "Listen up. If people are gonna vote for us, then we gotta have something original that no other class has. Having said that, doing something too novel isn't good either. Your average visitor is gonna have a vote, so having something they'll be well-acquainted with is key."

Chizuru Yukimura: "And that'd be a café...?"

Sanosuke Harada: "To be fair, you'll be able to use the break room for other things if you did a café."

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "Yes. And more than that...! Our class has a secret weapon! The most powerful, original thing that no other class in this academy has—!" Taking a deep breath, Ibuki-kun’s eyes suddenly flew wide open. "The only female student in this academy: Chizuru Yukimura!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "......" I couldn't even express my surprise. I looked up at Ibuki-kun in a daze.

Classmate A: "I kinda get it... We use the fact she's the only girl in the academy and appeal to the other guys."

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "How about it? Isn't it the perfect plan?!"

Ibuki-kun was full of determination, and it seemed to inspire the rest of my classmates, who were now completely on board with the idea.

...Save me, who was a key part of this plan, and whose thoughts on it were being ignored.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Uh, um, Ibuki-kun...?"

Sanosuke Harada: "Alright, now, settle down. If you're going to get anyone on board with this, it'll be her and what she thinks about it."

I wasn’t totally on board just yet, and Harada-sensei turned his attention to me, perhaps to see if I would be convinced.

Sanosuke Harada: "Yukimura, what do you think about all this? If this maid café is going to happen, serving customers will basically be your job. That'll be no small responsibility."

I thought…

[I had to do it]

[Could I even do it...?]

 

Honestly, using me as a selling point to get votes was unthinkable to me. I did feel really uneasy about it, but… It looked like everyone wanted to see this through. If that was the case, then I had no other choice!

Chizuru Yukimura: "I-If my work will help everyone… Then I'll do it!"

Sanosuke Harada: "Alright. Then it's final: this class's program is going to be a maid café."

Harada-sensei looked over the class and continued, "Listen well, you lot. You got Yukimura invested in this as well, now. Aim for victory, and give it your best shot!"

Everyone in class: "Yeah!!"

Everyone pumped up their fists with excited grins on their faces. Seeing everyone like that, I felt even more determined to give it my all.

 

Once we decided on a plan, everything afterwards went swimmingly. The cultural festival would be at the end of the month. With our class activity decided, we had to go all-out on preparations right away.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Looks like things are gonna get busy around here..." There was plenty to get ready for the cultural festival. ‘I hope it'll be a fun one…’ With thoughts like that at the back of my mind, suddenly, as I was leaving the school—

???: "You filthy mongrel!"

I heard a booming voice coming from the middle of the school courtyard. Surprised, I looked to see what was going on… Then, I saw Ibuki-kun and a man with a demonic-looking scowl.

???: "I come all the way to your school, and you can't even arrange a single plan for them to come greet me?!"

 

(CG GET! \\ (ʘ言ʘ╬))

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "H-How was I supposed to know...?! You just didn't tell me anything...!" Ibuki-kun was half-desperate with his rebuttal. "Besides the fact you showed up all of a sudden, expecting them to come out and greet you properly when you do is too unreasonable—"

???: "I don't want to hear your cheek, you mutt! And why am I the one who has to take their needs into consideration?! You useless piece of trash!"

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "Owowowowow!!"

The man didn't just stop at verbal harassment, but went so far as to squeeze Ibuki-kun's head tight. The situation unfolding before my eyes overwhelmed me with surprise for a brief moment. After I came back to my senses, I hurried to stop them.

Chizuru Yukimura: "E-Excuse me—!"

???: "Don't, Yukimura."

Suddenly, a hand landed on my shoulder. 

Toshizou Hijikata: "This doesn't concern you."

I looked up to see Hijikata-sensei, his expression positively stormy.

Isami Kondou: "......" Looking a little tense beside him was Kondou-sensei.

The two teachers rushed over and quickly forced their way between Ibuki-kun and the man.

Isami Kondou: "Welcome! Thank you for coming all the way over here! What business brings you here today, Serizawa-san?"

Kamo Serizawa: "Hmph..."

Isami Kondou: "...Ah, pardon, how rude of me. It won't do for us to stand around and talk like this. Please, let's speak in our reception office. I have the perfect tea from my hometown that I could bring out for you..." Kondou-sensei was remarkably courteous while dealing with the man.

Kamo Serizawa: "So my reception has finally arrived, then. However… I'm in the midst of doling out some discipline. Wait a bit."

Toshizou Hijikata: "Serizawa-san..." Just before the man could turn to Ibuki-kun again, Hijikata-sensei stood in his way with a severe expression. "You'll startle the other students if you have an outburst by the entrance here." Hijikata-sensei threw me a glance, while I stood behind him. He went on, "You have your standing to think of, so consider whether this is the time or place to do this."

Kamo Serizawa: "You wish to meddle in my obedience training, Hijikata?"

Toshizou Hijikata: "I’m not interested in picking on your parenting methods. It's just that this is the sort of conversation you should be having at home."

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "Huh...!?" Ibuki-kun let out a small cry from how he'd been quietly forsaken.

Kamo Serizawa: "Hmph..."

Even at Hijikata-sensei's silence, pregnant with anger, the man didn't particularly look like he was inclined to let up.

Chizuru Yukimura: "U-Uum… May I ask who this man is?" I asked the question diffidently, and Kondou-sensei clapped his hands together.

Isami Kondou: "Ohh, that's right. This is the first time you'll have met him. This is Kamo Serizawa. Serizawa-san is the chairman of the Hakuo Academy board, and works as the academy's PTA president as well."

Toshizou Hijikata: "He's also Ibuki's foster parent."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Oh...!" That's when I realized that this was the person Ibuki-kun was often grumbling about.

Kamo Serizawa: "So you're Chizuru Yukimura..."

Chizuru Yukimura: "You know about me?"

Kamo Serizawa: "You're the only girl in this academy, are you not? You say that as if I wouldn't know you on sight. I'd heard whispers about the girl who even Hijikata permitted in our school, but..." He looked at me from head to toe with scrutiny, as if he were appraising my value.

I resisted the urge to shrink back and stood straight as he fixed his gaze on me.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Please allow me to introduce myself once more. I'm Chizuru Yukimura. I'm in the same class as Ibuki-kun, and he's always been a great help to me."

Serizawa-san stared at me for a moment...

Kamo Serizawa: "Hmph..." He let out what I think was a snort, then walked towards the front entrance. With a nod from Kondou-sensei, Serizawa-san shortly headed towards the school building.

Toshizou Hijikata: "...You just have to step in, no matter how troublesome it is."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Eh...?"

Having muttered that under his breath, Hijikata-sensei took a step forward to follow after Serizawa-san… Then, as if he'd just remembered something, he turned back this way.

Toshizou Hijikata: "Yukimura. That reply you gave just now wasn't half bad. I thought you would've said something about Ibuki then, but... You held yourself back. Well done."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Oh, I didn't really do anything..." There were definitely a lot of questions I wanted to ask Serizawa-san about… But it definitely wasn't the time for me to bring that up.  I felt a smile coming on, and Hijikata-sensei hurried back to the school building.

Chizuru Yukimura: "...Phew..." After Hijikata-sensei and the others had left, I felt a sweat coming on belatedly. It seemed like the tension had finally cleared up.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Ibuki-kun, are you okay?"

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "Yeah. It's just the same old, same old..." He let out a sigh, like he'd given up a little. "But don't worry about me. Just think of how you can make the cultural festival a success. Alright? My lunches, my fate, and my everything are riding on that."

Chizuru Yukimura: "R-Right. Got it..."

He said it with such seriousness, I gave him a stiff nod. All I’d been thinking of was how to make it fun for everyone, but… The cultural festival seemed to bring its own troubles...

 

It was time to start preparing for the cultural festival. Classes were shortened, and after school people would work on preparations. In Class 1-1 too, the whole class would stay late of their own volition and put overtime into getting the maid café ready.

Chizuru Yukimura: "...Alright, done!"

I was in charge of making the small props. Most of the work was detailed embroidery. I’d never really noticed before, but the decorations in a café needed a particular kind of fabric.

The tablecloths for all the desks.

The curtain separating the kitchen area from the customer area...

And the maid outfit: the biggest obstacle.

 

Knowing I was facing such a formidable opponent, I gave a light sigh and decided to give my hands a break.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Whew... I've been at it for a while now. I should take a little break..."

I went out to the hallway to clear my head, and found that the whole building was bustling and lively. People rushed around with cans of paint or hammered nails into things. With just a quick look around the hallway, it looked like every class was busy. The way the school building was getting decorated bit by bit for the festival was kind of exciting to see… I craned my neck, looking all around while walking...

Heisuke-kun and Okita-senpai said that Class 2-1 was doing a food stand in the courtyard, I was pretty sure.

Saitou-senpai was in Class 2-2. I wanted to ask what their program was going to be...

I also heard that the gymnasium was being hired out for exclusive use by someone with a lot of leverage...

Speaking of which, I wondered where Harada-sensei would be. Maybe in the staff room? I expected that the other teachers would be with their own classes.

Now, where should I visit?

 

[Stay inside the school building]

[Head to the courtyard]

[How about the gymnasium...?]

 

"Phew..." I breathed in a lungful of the crisp autumn air and let out a light sigh. I thought I'd take a break and get some fresh air for a little bit… But there were plenty of students in the courtyard working diligently on getting their stalls ready.

Chizuru Yukimura: "That's the crêpe stall, and this one's the yakisoba one..."

There seemed to be more classes setting up stalls in the courtyard than I thought there'd be. I spotted some people I knew in one corner of the courtyard, and headed that way.

Souji Okita: "How about we add something different to the menu? Regular old takoyaki's boring anyhow."

Heisuke Toudou: "Something different? You mean like putting a super-spicy one in a set of eight?"

Souji Okita: "I'm thinking more like we add random garnishes. Like squid, or red bean paste, or some of that weird medicine Sannan-sensei has."

Toshizou Hijikata: "No way. Listen here. I'm telling you as your supervisor: you better not do anything that’ll cause any problems. Especially you, Souji! Damn troublemaker."

Souji Okita: "Yeah, yeah, I hear you."

Hijikata-sensei's class 2-1 was discussing what to do for a takoyaki stand… 

Then, as I was watching the situation, Heisuke-kun noticed me and his eyes lit up.

Heisuke Toudou: "Oh, Chizuru!"

Souji Okita: "Are you in the middle of spying on other classes, perhaps?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "N-No, I'm not! I'm on a break!" I hurriedly shook my head, and Okita-senpai smiled, looking like he was having fun.

Souji Okita: "Your class was doing a maid café, right? Good one, getting the okay for that."

Heisuke Toudou: "Yeah, yeah! I thought Hijikata-sensei would be against it for sure, though."

Toshizou Hijikata: "Zip it. I make sure I respect what students want to do as much as possible. ...I gave you the go-ahead, Yukimura, so give us a show you won't be ashamed of."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Will do!"

Heisuke Toudou: "Come to think of it, you were saying your class is aiming to win, weren't you?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Oh... Yeah. I think it'd be nice if we could just enjoy ourselves, but Ibuki-kun's really gunning for victory and putting in his best effort..."

Heisuke Toudou: "He's a persistent one, for sure."

Souji Okita: "It's a shame, though. It's pretty obvious our class'll be the one that wins."

Heisuke Toudou: "Hold the phone, Souji. What're you saying? The festival hasn't even started yet."

Souji Okita: "This is a contest we're getting into. There'd be no point if we weren't gonna win. You said we should do anything we can to win, and that being losers meant it was meaningless. Right, Hijikata-san?"

Toshizou Hijikata: "...Yeah, I did."

Heisuke Toudou: "Hold up, hold up, you guys. It's just a cultural festival. Let's have fun with it. I mean, it'd be better to do that than to labor away just for the sake of a win, don't you think, Chizuru?"

Souji Okita: "I wonder. If you’re doing it at all, shouldn’t you play for keeps?"

I wondered how I should answer...

 

[Both are important]

[Do it to win]

[Do it for the fun]

 

Aiming to win seemed pretty difficult. Of course it'd be nice if we did win at the end, but...

Chizuru Yukimura: "Given that it's my first cultural festival, I'd like to have fun with it. I think that winning is something that'll follow from that..."

Heisuke Toudou: "Yeah, a hundred percent! That's just what I think, too! The thing hasn’t got the word 'festival' in it for nothing. You gotta go all out for it and have fun!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Yeah, I feel the same. Thanks, Heisuke-kun."

Heisuke Toudou: "Oh... Nah, I just said the obvious is all. Our programs are gonna give us extra credit in class, so we gotta both do our best and have fun." Then he perked up again: "Alright! Let's enjoy this culture fest to the max!"

Thanks to Heisuke-kun, I felt I could look forward to the cultural festival too. I'd have to put in the work so our program so our maid café could be a success!

 

When I got back to my classroom, I spotted my classmates making a sign for the maid café. I needed to do my part, too.

 As I was thinking that, I suddenly heard a voice from behind me:

???: "Mhm... That's some fine craftsmanship, there."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Oh, Kondou-sensei."

Isami Kondou: "Hey there, Yukimura. Looks like your class is exceptionally motivated for this culture festival."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Yes. We all decided we'd do our best to win."

Isami Kondou: "I see, I see." Hearing what I said, Kondou-sensei nodded with a happy-looking smile. "The truth is, the PTA president, Serizawa-san, pays for the expenses of the cultural festival prize every year."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Eh? Serizawa-san does...?"

I thought of the impression I had of him when I accidentally met him the other day… This kind of came as a surprise.

Isami Kondou: "He'll pay for the prize for this year's winning class as well. Make sure you all work at it, too."

Chizuru Yukimura: "We will do! Thank you for the support!"

Isami Kondou: "Every class is getting interesting-looking events ready... I can't wait to see how this year's cultural festival goes."

Looking happy from how much effort the students were putting in, Kondou-sensei walked off with a smile on his face. I also wanted to do my very best.

 

And then… The day of the cultural festival had finally arrived.  

In the classroom ―which had been completely transformed into a café― everyone waited restlessly for the event to open. 

Chizuru Yukimura: "Ibuki-kun, are you alright? You're looking a little pale."

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "I'm fine. Just trembling with excitement." He went on, "...Up until today I did everything I possibly could to prepare, but I wonder if it was enough..."

Chizuru Yukimura: "It will be fine."

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "You can't guarantee that..."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Well, we’re all in this together, and I don't think there is a single other class that has worked as hard as we have. So I'm sure that things will go smoothly."

Classmate A: "That's right… It's just like Yukimura-san says!"

Classmate B: "We've all been doing our best for today. Our interior decorations are just as good as any other class, and we have a cute maid!" 

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "I see... I guess you're right!" Ibuki-kun looked to have broken through his gloom, and he suddenly raised his fist and looked at all of us. "Let's go seize our victory! You guys ready!?"

Whole class: "YEEEEAAAHHH!"

And then, after that little pep talk, we heard the chime that signaled the start of the cultural festival…

 

Classmate A: "The cake set is done!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Right!"

Classmate B: "Miss Maid, come guide your newest customer to their seat!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Y-Yes, right away!"

I was overwhelmed by all the unfamiliar customers, but I was still trying my best. Still, the number of customers kept increasing, and  in a blink of an eye things were really busy!

Chizuru Yukimura: "Welcome! ...No wait, I mean: Welcome, master!"

The line never seemed to get any shorter, which meant the advertisements we had done worked really well. I had heard that the others had put up posters around that read  "We have a maid!" or something… Because of that, I suppose that everyone had high expectations of our class, even before the festival began...

Chizuru Yukimura: "But, what should I do? If it keeps up like this...!"

We couldn't keep up with seating or orders any more. During the rush, a new figure appeared in the classroom doorway.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Welcome back, master!"

Heisuke Toudou: "......................."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Ah, Heisuke-kun! So you decided to come?"

Heisuke Toudou: "......................."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Heisuke-kun..?"

Heisuke Toudou: "S-s-ss..."

Chizuru Yukimura: "S?"

Heisuke Toudou: "So good! That looks so good on you...!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "You think so? Thank goodness," I breathed a sigh of relief. "I was worried that these cute sorts of clothes wouldn't suit me. So when you praised me, I felt a little relieved. Thanks."

Heisuke Toudou: "No, rather, it's um, it… It almost suits you too well? You look amazing!"

It didn't exactly feel like a maid and her master, but… While laughing and chatting, I guided Heisuke-kun to his seat. After I did, he paused and looked up at me before picking up the menu waiting on the desk. 

Heisuke Toudou: "Chizuru. What do you recommend?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Hmm. The omurice, I guess?"

Heisuke Toudou: "Then I'll have the omurice!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "As you command, master. Please wait for just a few moments."

Heisuke Toudou: "............"

Soon after...

Once Heisuke-kun had completely devoured his omurice, he gave me a smile that stretched from ear to ear.

Heisuke Toudou: "That was super delicious! The eggs were soft, and it was like it had come out of a real western-style restaurant!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "I'm glad that you were satisfied with it. Everyone practiced frantically."

Heisuke Toudou: "...It's just, y'know..."

Chizuru Yukimura: ?

Heisuke Toudou: "While I was waiting for the omurice, I noticed something while I was looking around. There really aren't enough waiters, right? You looked crazy busy, running around all over the place."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Well..."

He made a good point. Everyone was trying their best, but there truly was an overwhelming number of customers...

Heisuke Toudou: "...Chizuru. Is there anything I could help out with?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Eh?"

Heisuke Toudou: "I'm on break right now, y'know! I'll lend you my strength!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "I'm happy that you feel that way, but this is our class activity, so you really shouldn't be helping us out..."

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "What’re you holdin’ back for, Yukimura!?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Eeh?"

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "Right now we need all the help we can get. He's offering, ain't he!?"

Heisuke Toudou "It's just like he says! Leave the food delivery to me!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "...Okay..."

I was still a little bit perplexed, and at that moment--

More customers than ever before burst in, and soon the room was totally packed!

Chizuru Yukimura: "W-welcome home!"

Surely, this had to be today's largest hurdle. Heisuke-kun was eager to lend a hand...

If we wanted to have a chance at the school festival championship, this was a battle we couldn't afford to lose!

 

[Minigame Victory]

 

Heisuke-kun did an amazing job backing us up, and thanks to that we were able to serve all the customers smoothly!

Chizuru Yukimura: "Heisuke-kun, thank you so much for your help...!"

Heisuke Toudou: "Don't worry about it. After all, I got to work with you, so it was a ton of fun!" There wasn't a hint of a lie in Heisuke-kun's smile, and that grin only grew wider. He went on, "Hey, it's nice for the customers when you're the one serving them in that maid outfit, but..." After a pause, he said, "I really do think it's better if we work together. I feel best when I’m doing something."

As I watched him smile as he spoke, I found myself also becoming happier.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Thanks, Heisuke-kun." ‘Let's keep this mood up through the afternoon, and do our best!’ I thought.

 

Afterwards, as the sun moved past its peak, and so too did the number of customers. I finally felt the pressure lift off my shoulders. 

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "Yukimura, I think we can manage from here. You can take a break"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Eh? Really?" I asked reflexively.

Ibuki-kun nodded to me.

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "Yeah. Don't worry, we'll take things from here. Toudou-senpai lending a hand really helped us out." Then, Ibuki-kun called out to Heisuke-kun. "Senpai, you can go with Yukimura. It's finally the cultural festival, so you two should go check it out."

Heisuke Toudou: "Is that really alright? The maid is the leading role in the maid café, so if you take that out..."

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "I have one condition. In order to advertise the maid café at the same time, you have to go out in that outfit, Yukimura."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Eh..."

He did have a point… If I moved around the school in this maid outfit, it would probably be some very effective advertising.

Heisuke Toudou: "What, that's it?  You really don’t mind, right Chizuru?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "S-sure..."

Heisuke-kun looked so happy when he asked, all I could do was agree vaguely.  I'd become sort of used to this maid uniform, but… I'd need to be a little bit braver if I wanted to leave the classroom looking like this.  ‘Well, it's embarrassing, but…’

Heisuke Toudou: "Hehe, you look so cute today, it would be a waste to take it off!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "............" ...If I was with Heisuke-kun, it would probably be fine...? 

I decided to go out while still in the maid costume, and so, Heisuke-kun and I exited, moving out into the hallway.

Chizuru Yukimura: "I've been moving around so much, and it's already past lunch time. I'm super hungry."

Heisuke Toudou: "Right? Let's hurry up and find a food-based exhibit andーHang on, I got a message."

He pulled his phone out of his pocket, and after he hit a few buttons--

Heisuke Toudou: "!" For some reason, he suddenly froze, as if shocked by some news.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Heisuke-kun? Is something wrong?"

Heisuke Toudou: "N-no, not really...?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Who is the message from?"

Heisuke Toudou: "...Souji..."

Well, Okita-senpai was in the same class as him… Thinking that something was off, I spoke up:

Chizuru Yukimura: "Hey Heisuke-kun, don't tell me… Did something come up, at your class’s stall?"

Heisuke Toudou "!" 

Heisuke Toudou: "N-no, it's not really like that! It was nothing important, so don't worry about it!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "...Really?"

Heisuke Toudou: "Yeah, really! ...C'mon, let's go. Your break won't last forever!" He said, leading me away by the hand without meeting my eyes.

I said...

 

[It’s no use!]

[Is it really fine?]

 

Chizuru Yukimura: "It’s no use trying to fool me, Heisuke-kun. Something came up with your class, right?"

After all, I had practically been raised alongside him. I had caught something in the way he looked away from me. As I gently asked him again, Heisuke-kun's shoulders slumped in resignation. 

Heisuke Toudou: "...Yeah. Truth is, my class stand is so crowded that things are kinda desperate."

Chizuru Yukimura: "If you don't help out, will it be dangerous? Then you really need to go..."

Heisuke Toudou: "You're right… Haah, I really wanted to hang out with you, but… Sorry! If you have time, come and visit our class!" With that, he quickly broke off into a run.

Chizuru Yukimura: "............"

I had to think about it for a little, but...Ultimately, I set off at a brisk walk and headed down the stairs, thinking I would follow Heisuke-kun.

I pushed my way through the crowds and finally reached the courtyard. There was a long line in front of the year 2, class 1 takoyaki stand. 

Chizuru Yukimura: "Wow..." ‘I wonder if Heisuke-kun is here...?’

There was no way I could cut the line, and so I soon joined the end of the queue. At long last, the line moved forward enough that I could get a clear look at the situation at the stand... 

There, I saw Heisuke-kun working at the stall.

 (CG get!°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°)

Heisuke Toudou: "2 takoyaki, coming up!" Heisuke-kun was nimbly spinning the takoyaki, turning them over and over again. 

Chizuru Yukimura: "Wow...!" Each and every one of his movements was brisk and practiced,  and I found myself admiring him without meaning to. The golden-brown takoyaki were incredibly appetizing, as was the scent that wafted from them.

Chizuru Yukimura: "............"

I was certain that Heisuke-kun must have practiced a lot. After all, for as long as I've known him, he has always given 100% to anything he did. 

Heisuke Toudou: "!" 

 (CG get!°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°)

 

At that moment, Heisuke-kun looked directly towards me. As soon as he noticed me, his eyes went round as saucers. "Chizuru, you came...!?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Yeah. I couldn't get used to the feeling of wandering around the festival alone. And besides, didn't you come and visit my class too? That's why... this time I thought it was my turn to come and cheer you on."

 

Heisuke Toudou: "............" 

He was quiet, but then finally he said, "Got it. I'll really give it my all. So..."

Heisuke Toudou: "Please wait for just a little bit! I’ll finish this up right away!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Thanks, Heisuke-kun… Do your best!"

Heisuke Toudou: "Yeah! Leave it to me!"

However...

In spite of his strenuous work, the congestion of the takoyaki customers was not so easily resolved. People had heard the rumors about the delicious takoyaki, and customers kept coming one after another. It seemed like things would go on like this forever. Between the customers lining the benches at the edges of the courtyard, those waiting, and those eating, people were packed in like sardines. 

Seeing Heisuke-kun desperately trying his best to keep up with the customers, I decisively called out to him.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Heisuke-kun. Please let me help with the customers!"

Heisuke Toudou: "Eh? But, Chizuru… Wouldn't that be bad for your class?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "But you used up your own break time helping me, Heisuke-kun. So this time it's my turn to return the favor."

Heisuke Toudou: "............" Heisuke-kun fell silent, looking bewildered.

Then...

Souji Okita: "Well then, why doesn't Chizuru-chan just advertise for the maid café while she's helping out here?"

Heisuke Toudou: "Souji...!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Is it really alright for me to advertise?"

I’d almost forgotten that Okita-senpai was in Heisuke-kun's class too… Okita-senpai-- who had appeared seemingly from nowhere-- gave me a light nod. 

Souji Okita: "So we're all on the same page? If she's not just working for free, she can help out here."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Well then, this will help me out more and more too! ...Is that ok, Heisuke-kun?"

Heisuke Toudou: "Alright then, please do!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Yeah!"

I would do things like regulate the line, and bring takoyaki to the customers. I couldn't lose to Heisuke-kun, either! I immediately started serving customers…

And then, once the number of customers had settled down...

Heisuke Toudou: "Thanks for waiting, Chizuru! Even if I slip out after this, it looks like things will be alright!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Good work, Heisuke-kun," I greeted him with a smile, but his shoulders slumped in what seemed like guilt.

Heisuke Toudou: "But you don't have much time left in your break, right? So..." As he said that, he also showed me...

Chizuru Yukimura: "Takoyaki?"

Heisuke Toudou: "It's some that I grilled! I was thinking that we could, y'know… eat these together, at least."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Thank you, Heisuke-kun. I'm happy...!"

He gave what looked like a relieved smile, but then his brows immediately furrowed once more. 

Heisuke Toudou: "I really am sorry.  This ended up taking so long."

Chizuru Yukimura: "No, it's fine."

It was certainly true that my break was running out, but… being unable to not help when a friend was in need was a very Heisuke-like thing to do… ‘I think that's a good thing, though’ I thought to myself.

...We started walking, looking for a quiet place to eat our piping-hot takoyaki.

 

Chizuru Yukimura: "Haah..."

Very soon this long, long day would come to an end. 

A chime sounded to signal the end of the festival, and all of the customers who had come from outside of the school headed home...

The evening sun shone through the classroom windows as we tidied up, waiting on the closing event of the school festival.  We planned to wait to put the large, time-consuming decorations away another day, but… This was the only school-wide festival, so the amount of trash was much greater than usual.

Chizuru Yukimura: "All right… oh."

Carrying a garbage bag,  I walked into the waste collection area behind the school, whereー

Susumu Yamazaki: "Shimada-san, can burnable garbage be left here?"

Kai Shimada: "Yes. Please don't forget to separate the cans, jars, and plastic bottles."

Shimada-sanー our excellent school janitorー was talking with Yamazaki-senpai, who had also come to throw out some trash.

The teachers all relied on and trusted Shimada-san a lot: he was the unsung hero of Hakuo Academy. When we first met I was shocked at the sheer size of him, but he is a very friendly, gentle sort of person. There were rumors that he absolutely adored sweets, and that's how he got so big, or something like that...

Chizuru Yukimura: "Hello, Yamazaki-senpai. Shimada-san, please help with this garbage as well."

Kai Shimada: "Sure, Yukimura-kun. Thank you for your hard work."

Susumu Yamazaki: "Thanks. Did you come to throw trash away too?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Yes. Even so, there really is so much today..."

Trash was piled up high in one corner of the area. Looking at the heap, Shimada-san let slip a small, wry smile.

Kai Shimada: "It's a sign that things were successful, I suppose. I've worked as a janitor here since the school was founded, but… This year's cultural festival was really very busy, huh?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Oh, really?"

Susumu Yamazaki: "Yes. Even from my perspective, I think it was more exciting than the one last year."

When I turned to look at the school, it was dyed in the fading light of the late sunset, and the enthusiasm of the festival still lingered. But, as the sun vanished, little by little so did the electric atmosphere… As the loneliness weighed on my chest, a voice reached the rear yard. 

Sanosuke Harada: "In other words, all that excitement means that this was the best one yet, right?"

Toshizou Hijikata: "That's exactly why us teachers had it so rough. ...That being said, the most important thing is that no big issues cropped up."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Ah, it's Harada-sensei and Hijikata-sen...sei?"

 (CG get!°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°)

The two of them looked... different than I expected. For some reason Harada-sensei and Hijikata-sensei were both wearing aprons.  Moreover, the design and colors of the aprons totally clashed with the image I had of those two. They were somehow kind of... cute. 

Susumu Yamazaki: "Um... Those are some very unusual clothes for you two..."

Kai Shimada: "...May I ask why?"

Toshizou Hijikata: "... My class ran a takoyaki stand," he explained, looking indignant, "but we prepared way too many ingredients. The class was talking about eating them as soon as possible." Now that I thought about it, there were conspicuous stains of stuff like sauce and flower at the ends of his apron. 

Chizuru Yukimura: "Um, you mean to say… You cooked it personally, Hijikata-sensei...?"

Sanosuke Harada: "Yep. I got to see the rare sight of Hijikata-san’s face when he’s obsessively cooking takoyaki."

Toshizou Hijikata: "Shut up. ...Well, I couldn't just let the students do it," Hijikata-sensei gave a wry smile, and then suddenly looked behind him.

Standing there was Nagakura-sensei, his cheeks stuffed full from the veritable mountain of takoyaki he was carrying. Munching loudly, he exclaimed:

Shinpachi Nagakura: "Wow! Can I really eat all this, Hijikata-san?"

Toshizou Hijikata: "Yeah. Consider it a reward for all your hard work. Eat up."

Sanosuke Harada: "...Oh, looks like someone else is joining in on our little break."

 (CG get!°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°)

 

When I looked where Harada-sensei had glanced, I saw that Sannan-sensei had also appeared. 

Keisuke Sannan: "Hehe… I am also helping myself to some takoyaki."

Behind Harada-sensei and Hijikata-sensei, Sannan-sensei was also snacking on some takoyaki.

Shinpachi Nagakura: "At any rate, today was a lot of work. My shoulders and stuff are stiff, and I'm totally worn out..." he munched away on his takoyaki snack.

Keisuke Sannan: "Well then... would you like to test this out?" Saying that, Sannan-sensei produced a small vial filled with a crimson liquid.

Shinpachi Nagakura: "...? What's that?"

Keisuke Sannan: "It is an energy drink that I created. One sip will remedy any fatigue. Please drink it, if you like, Nagakura-kun."

Shinpachi Nagakura: "Wow, that's amazing! Well then, thanks a bun--"

Susumu Yamazaki: "N-Nagakura-sensei! W-wait!"

 (CG get!°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°)

Shinpachi Nagakura: "Huh? What's wrong, Yamazaki?"

Keisuke Sannan: "...Is something the matter, Yamazaki?"

Susumu Yamazaki: "...N-no… It's nothing..."

Harada-sensei laughed lightly at their exchange, and then he reached his hand out to me.

Sanosuke Harada: "You should also eat some, if you're in the mood."

Chizuru Yukimura: "U-um... are you sure?"

Sanosuke Harada: "Of course. Welcome to our humble store, my lady. Allow me to show you to your seat."

Chizuru Yukimura: "...All right!"

Toshizou Hijikata: "I swear... hey, Harada. Don't tease the kids like that."

I couldn't help feeling shy amongst this circle of friends...

 

The closing ceremony for the Hakuo Academy cultural festival was non-compulsory, taking place after the sun had set.  Of course, almost everyone from my class chose to participate, but there were also those few who didn't.

 

And so, before the ceremony and the announcements  of the victor, students from every class gathered to wait on the school grounds.

Isami Kondou: "Students of Hakuo Academy! Before the closing ceremony, let me officially announce the end of the school festival!" As Kondou-sensei stood on a stage with the school building in the background, Serizawa-san appeared. Kondou-sensei continued, "Thanks to all of your incredible efforts, this year's cultural festival has been a great success. Especially for certain classes things were more tense and exciting than they have ever been before! Now then, the PTA Chairman Serizawa-san will announce which class performed best!"

Kamo Serizawa: "Hmph..." Serizawa-san opened the paper he was holding, looking completely uninterested. "By virtue of gathering the most votes, this year's winning class is..."

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "...C'mon, please..." Ibuki-kun murmured hoarsely, and tightly clasped his hands together.

The rest of us from our class waited for the moment of the announcement with bated breath.

Kamo Serizawa: "Year 1, Class 1."

Chizuru Yukimura: "!!!"

Whole class: "YEEEES!!"

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "T-this isn't a dream, right!? Our class really did..."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Yeah! Our class really won!"

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "!!!" Ibuki-kun seemed unable to speak, and just struck a big victory pose instead. "With this, I'll be able to eat lunch like a normal person from now on! I've never even dreamed of this...!"

Kamo Serizawa: "............"

All of a sudden, Serizawa-san had materialized behind Ibuki-kun.

Kamo Serizawa: "...You just said ‘eat lunch like a normal person.’ Aren't you misunderstanding something?"

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "Eh...!? But, we won didn't we? That means the school lunch discount ticket is ours, right?"

Kamo Serizawa: "I don't know where you heard such a rumor, but the championship prize for this year is not that. It's a class-wide pre-paid book card."

Chizuru Yukimura: "A pre-paid book card..."

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "H-how is that possible!? Why haven't I heard about it!?"

Kamo Serizawa: "How should I know? You're annoying! You must have purposefully misunderstood! Come!"

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "Ow ow ow ow!? P-please don't pull on that!"

In the end... many students were happy, but Ibuki-kun alone was so depressed it seemed he wouldn't recover…

 

With that, the school festival came to a close. Serving all those customers at the maid café had been tough, but it ended up being a fulfilling day. Thanks to everyone's hard work, I had no doubt in my mind that today would become a wonderful memory...