Hakuouki SSL: Chapter 4.5 (Toudou Heisuke)

Chapter 4.5

This chapter was translated by shizuumi and proofread by kittensparkles, yuugs, and dei-hime!


Before I knew it, the old year had passed, and it was finally New Year's Day. 

Today, January 1st, was a new beginning. 

I went out to a nearby shrine with Heisuke-kun to pay our first visit of the year there, just as we'd  promised during Christmas Day. 

On the way back…


Heisuke Toudou: "Ughhhh... M'sleepy… Chizuru. I might, like, end up sleepwalking right now..."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Did you stay up late last night or something?"

Heisuke Toudou: "H-Hey, I mean, it was New Year's Eve and everything! What's a guy to do! The New Year's Eve special they aired on TV was cool, too, and I wouldn't have been able to go out the next day if I'd fallen asleep. It was all I could do to stay awake..."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Come on... The New Year's only just begun and you're already ruining your health..." Come to think of it, he looked pretty beat when we were visiting the shrine, too. When I remembered that, I shook my head. "There were lots of people who took their time offering their prayers when we went to the shrine… You prayed for a pretty long time there, too. What did you pray for?"

Heisuke Toudou: "C'mon, isn't it obvious? I prayed that the winter break would get extended!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "......"

Heisuke Toudou: "Oh, no, hold up. Right, I also prayed I'd grow taller..."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Hehe..."

Heisuke Toudou: "W-What're you giggling about? I'm being pretty serious here, y'know!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "I'm sorry. But I feel like those prayers are just so you, somehow..."

Eventually, my house came into view as we chatted. We'd been neighbors for ages and knew each other well. We each stopped in front of our house and waved at each other.

Heisuke Toudou: "Thanks for going out to the shrine with me today, Chizuru!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Yeah, same to you. Oh, right. What're your plans for the winter break, Heisuke-kun?"

Heisuke Toudou: "Hehe, well. It does look like my parents'll be going back to my grandparents' place tomorrow. But I got club stuff to do, so I won't be going with 'em. Wait, doesn't that basically mean I'll be home alone!?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "I mean, probably, but... Will you be okay on your own? Like with food and stuff?"

Heisuke Toudou: "Don't treat me like I'm some kid… I'll be fine for like, two, three days. But look at it this way, my parents won't be home. That means I'll get to indulge myself and game all day again!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "...Try not to stay up too late, okay?"

Heisuke Toudou: "I know that! I'll see ya later then!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "......"

...I was definitely worried for him. It wasn't strange for Heisuke-kun to go two to three days without food or water, just whiling the day away gaming.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Maybe I should pop in to check up on him every once in a while. Just in case," muttering that under my breath, I opened my front door.


 

And then, on the next day, January 2nd. I'd hung out with Osen-chan, and finally headed home when it was nighttime.

Chizuru Yukimura: "It's already dark out. I ended up staying out pretty late..." I knew the days were shorter in winter, but the way everything suddenly went so dark still felt surprising. Seeing the light on at my front door made me feel relieved. As I went to open it―

Heisuke Toudou: "......"

I spotted Heisuke-kun sitting hunched on the stoop outside the door to his house.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Heisuke-kun? It's so cold ― what're you doing out here?"

Heisuke Toudou: "Ahh, Chizuru..."

Chizuru Yukimura: "It's windy and cold out, too. You'll get sick if you don't go inside, you know?"

Heisuke Toudou: "...I can't get in..."

Chizuru Yukimura: "You can't get in...?"

Heisuke Toudou: "I went out for club stuff today, but it seems like I lost my keys on the way back home..."

Chizuru Yukimura: "But if you wait till your parents get back..."

Heisuke Toudou: "......"

Chizuru Yukimura: "...Oh...!"

Heisuke Toudou: "Yeah. Like I said yesterday, my parents went back to my grandparents' place. The earliest they'll get back is tomorrow, and that's the earliest. I don't think I'm gonna make it..."

Chizuru Yukimura: "You could try going to the police? Your key might've been turned in as lost property."

Heisuke Toudou: "I went there, and I searched every speck of the road on the way to school, too. But..." Heisuke-kun looked crestfallen, his shoulders slumping… The search must not have turned up anything.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Then do you want to stay over at my place or something until your parents come back?"

Heisuke Toudou: "N-No, I mean, it'd be bad for me to stay over at a girl's house. Not to mention that Uncle Koudou's away, on top of that."

Chizuru Yukimura: "But it doesn't look like you have any way of getting into your house..."

Heisuke Toudou: "Yeah, you got a point. I tried out everything, but getting in seems impossible. ...I'm outta options. I'm scared what'll happen if I do, but maybe I'll try asking Hajime-kun and Souji for help." After letting out a massive sigh, Heisuke-kun took out his cell phone.

Hajime Saitou: "Hello, this is Saitou."

Heisuke Toudou: "Oh, Hajime-kun? It's Heisuke. Truth is, I'm―"

Hajime Saitou: "I'm sorry but I can't reach my phone at the moment. If you'd like to speak to me, please leave a message after the tone."

Heisuke Toudou: "Ah, damn... Looks like he's away."

‘...Why did Saitou-senpai record a voicemail greeting using his own voice…?’

Heisuke Toudou: "Welp, if the man's away, he's away. Next up is Souji."

Souji Okita: "Hello?"

Heisuke Toudou: "Oh, Souji? Truth is, I'd like your help. I got a favor to ask..."

Souji Okita: "Nuh-uh."

Heisuke Toudou: "I didn't even say anything yet!?"

Souji Okita: "I mean, favors for you are always either totally pointless or a real pain… Nah, I'm just pulling your leg. I'm out visiting my parents right now, so I'm not around. I'll most likely be back in about four days, so there's probably no point asking me for help."

Heisuke Toudou: "Oof, four days is a long time, yeah… Gotcha. Sorry for bothering you."

Chizuru Yukimura: "...Okita-senpai was a no-go as well?"

Heisuke Toudou: "Yeah. Although, Ryuunosuke's...even less likely to help. Plus, there's no way I'd be able to stay over at Serizawa-san's place. ...That does it! I'm gonna call everyone I can possibly think of!"

Even though Heisuke-kun had a lot of friends, it looked like there weren't many who could have him over for the night… After he called lord knows how many people, Heisuke-kun's phone slipped from his hand.

Heisuke Toudou: "W-Why's everyone always busy with something or having plans around now...?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "It is the New Year. Lots of people are probably heading to their hometowns for the holidays..."

Heisuke Toudou: "Maybe I could go to a manga café then...? Agh, I can't, I left my wallet in the house, too."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Then..."

Heisuke Toudou: "I-I could always sleep outdoors! I mean, I could get in the mood for some camping!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Do that when it's this cold out and you might drop dead before you even get the chance to get sick!"

Heisuke Toudou: "...But, I mean, I wouldn't think you'd jump at the chance of having some random guy over at your place."

Chizuru Yukimura: "But you're not some random guy, you know? ...You're Heisuke-kun."

Heisuke Toudou: "......"

What I said seemed to have caught him completely off-guard, judging by the look on his face.

Heisuke Toudou: "Does she not see me as a man, or does she just trust me that much… Kinda blows either way..."

Chizuru Yukimura: ...?

Heisuke Toudou: "...So your place, huh? Well, it's not like I haven't been there before. ...Alright! It'll be fine! I’m not gonna feel guilty about it anymore!" he muttered under his breath, like he'd been convincing himself, before he looked straight at me. "Ch-Chizuru... Uh... Thanks for helping a screw-up like me!"

Something about that wording didn't sound right, but…

Heisuke Toudou: "Thanks for having me over!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Yeah, no problem. I'll get some cushions you can sit on. You can take a seat in the meantime."

Heisuke Toudou: "S-Sure..." 

Heisuke-kun had been weirdly nervous ever since he'd entered my house. Or, like....

Heisuke Toudou:  "Oh, so this is what your room’s like now, huh..."

...He was kind of like a kid in a candy store, which made me a little embarrassed...

Chizuru Yukimura: "Seeing you look up and down my room does feel a little embarrassing, though..."

Heisuke Toudou: "S-Sorry! I just thought, like, it had gotten a little girlier than way back when."

Chizuru Yukimura: "You think so? I thought it's just always been like this, though..."

Heisuke Toudou: "Nah, I pretty much stopped coming to your room after I was in middle school. And I'm so surprised how neat everything is. Like, I leave my games and manga all over the place in my room."

Chizuru Yukimura: "It's because I just finished doing a major clean-up. It's usually a little messier than this." I was really glad I didn't have any of the clothes I'd changed out of lying around… "Anyway, I've been thinking about what to do with the fact you're still in uniform. Do you wanna change?"

Heisuke Toudou: "Change... Wait, you can't mean into your clothes...!?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Not my father’s, but my clothes? I don't think they'd fit, but if you’re fine with mine, then..."

Mine were also women's clothes. On Heisuke-kun, they’d fit…well, different. 

Heisuke-kun and I looked at each other, and we both shook our heads.

Heisuke Toudou: "I have a few uniforms I rotate through anyway! I can spend a night wearing this one, no problem!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "You think so...? In that case, why don't we have some dinner?"

Heisuke Toudou: "I'll give you a hand, seeing as I'm staying over. Just say the word if you need anything!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Then could you grab me the leftover soba noodles in the fridge? I can make a New Year's dish with that."

Some spinach with steamed seasoned fish paste, and a little bit of yuzu citron on top… I thought up a little menu as we headed for the kitchen.

Heisuke Toudou: "Phew, I'm stuffed now. Thanks for the food! It was crazy delicious!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "I'm happy you liked it."

I'd just boiled some noodles, made miso soup, and cut up some garnish to put on top. It was a really simple soba noodle dish… But as Heisuke-kun thanked me for the food, he complimented it so sincerely that I ended up wanting to thank him right back.

Chizuru Yukimura: "But you know, seeing you enjoy eating like this reminds me of when we were younger, Heisuke-kun."

Heisuke Toudou: "Ohh, yeah, we used to play house pretty often, didn't we? ...Although, you could only cook stuff out of clay or mud back then."

Chizuru Yukimura: "I-I was a kid at the time!"

Heisuke Toudou: "Heheh, it's alright. I know that. You know, I hadn't realized how much you'd grown. Both in your cooking and in your room here."

Heisuke-kun's smile crinkled his eyes, like he was gazing at something dazzling. I didn't quite know why, but when I saw him with such a faraway look in his eyes, I spoke up in a small voice.

Chizuru Yukimura: "We saw each other less after you started high school, since we were going to different schools… But after I got into Hakuo Academy, it seems like we were able to be together more again."

Heisuke Toudou: "Yeah, you're right… Hey, you know the tests in June? Remember those?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "The first real tests we had? I remember you studying desperately everyday and looking exhausted..."

Right... back then, the whole school was on edge from the penalties that came with the tests. Among everyone, Heisuke-kun in particular studied a lot. He had looked dreadful.

Chizuru Yukimura: "You did really well back then, Heisuke-kun."

Heisuke Toudou: "Well, it's 'cause one of the penalties was prohibiting club activities, and I couldn't have that. Plus, there was one more reason I couldn't get a failing grade as well."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Another reason?"

Heisuke Toudou: "...How could I've gone and flunked 'em after you lent me your lap?" Heisuke-kun shot me a grin as he spoke.

Chizuru Yukimura: "......"

The way that Heisuke-kun would sometimes say embarrassing things while seeming oblivious to them really put me on the spot sometimes… I took a deep breath as I felt my cheeks heating up.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Oh, yeah... During the summer break, we hung out with everyone at the pool."

Heisuke Toudou: "Yeah, when we did the SSS! Well, it was less like everyone went there together to hang out… or more like everyone else heard you were going and came hurtling in to tag along."

Chizuru Yukimura: "I was surprised at first, too. I didn't think everyone would be there."

Heisuke Toudou: "Sorry for springing all that on you. But hey, it was because of everyone being there that we could have so much fun."

Chizuru Yukimura: "...Would it have been better if everyone were there by the poolside bar afterwards, then?"

Heisuke Toudou: "S'unfair when you put it like that..." 

As he gave me a droll smile, I recalled the huge shaved ice dessert he’d gotten at the time.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Just thinking about all that ice hurts, even now."

Heisuke Toudou: "Oh, that, huh...? It was tasty, but I don't think I'd order it again."

Chizuru Yukimura: "It's not made for two people to eat. I swear you have to have a whole team for it, at least."

Heisuke-kun cracked a smile through his grimace, and something else occurred to me.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Oh, right, you were also really impressive during the cultural festival. You helped out with my class, and also made takoyaki for your own… You did so much, like a real renaissance man. You really stood out."

Heisuke Toudou: "...C'mon, if anyone stood out between us, it'd have to be you, right? I mean, you wore a maid outfit."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Ugh..."

Heisuke Toudou: "You could practically smell the desire coming off of the other students in waves. Whereas they looked like they wanted to stab me when I was walking with you."

I got embarrassed when I recalled all that, naturally. It was part of the whole festival's atmosphere, and I poured my soul into working on it… Thinking back on it now, I did a pretty good job, if I did say so myself.

Chizuru Yukimura: "After that... I know it was pretty recent, but Christmas was really nice, too."

Heisuke Toudou: "Yeah, although it mostly felt like everyone was just messing around, though."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Hehe, but it was an amazing time. Also, it came with this," I took my dog plushie from on top of my bed, placed it on my knee, and gave a big smile. 

It was the precious gift that Heisuke-kun had given me. Even though I wanted it when we were just little kids, he still remembered after all this time… Having it as a present now made me so happy.

Heisuke Toudou: "Oh. The stuffed animal I gave you?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Mhm! It's super comfortable to hug, and it's really warm when I go to sleep."

Heisuke Toudou: "Y-You hug it when you sleep...!?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Oh, sorry. Is that childish of me?"

Heisuke Toudou: "N-No, not in the least," Heisuke-kun gave a dry grin as he prodded my stuffed dog's cheeks. Seeing that put a smile on my face, and my eyes shuttered fondly.

Chizuru Yukimura: "...If you hadn't told me to consider Hakuo Academy, I definitely wouldn't have been able to make any of these memories. ...Thank you, Heisuke-kun."

Heisuke Toudou: "...Nothing you gotta thank me for. In fact, I only asked you to consider it. But you came to Hakuo anyway, even though you're the only girl in a sea of guys there… I should be the one being grateful to you. Thanks so much, Chizuru.”

After we gave each other our thanks, silence descended between us. We had reached a point where we could talk as childhood friendsーas best friendsー every day. It felt so natural that it was like speaking with family, so we usually never fell silent like this…

I didn't know why, but, just for tonight, I couldn't find the words to say.

Chizuru Yukimura: "A-Anyway, it's a bit early, but how about we get to sleep soon...?"

Heisuke Toudou: "Right..."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Then, how about you―"


[Sleep here?]

[Sleep in my father's room?]


Chizuru Yukimura: "...What do I do...?"

My living room didn't have a futon or a bed. We had a bed in the medical office of the house, but it was just for patients' medical examinations. I didn't think I'd have any guests over this evening, initially, so I felt pretty conflicted about what to do.

Chizuru Yukimura: "......"

While I was thinking, Heisuke-kun stood up, sensing my worry.

Heisuke Toudou: "So, you got a towel or something you could lend me? I'll go and sleep in the living room.”

Chizuru Yukimura: "But the living room's too cold..."

Heisuke Toudou: "I'll be fine! The alternative originally was sleeping outside, y'know? Sleeping in the living room's way  better compared to that! Besides... It's not like I'm about to sleep in  your room or anything like that," Heisuke-kun said, shaking his head.

Chizuru Yukimura: "But, well, um..." After I finally finished worrying, I squeezed out a few words. "I could put out another blanket on my bed, and you could sleep here...?"

Heisuke Toudou: "N―! N-N―No way! Absolutely not! If we do that, then... I know! Uncle Koudou has a room, right?!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "My father's bedroom? I think it's a bit messy,  though..."

Heisuke Toudou: "I got no problem with that! I'll go sleep over there!"

Heisuke-kun's features screwed up in desperation, looking like he was fighting something off. I was pretty much overpowered after that, so I eventually nodded in agreement.

Chizuru Yukimura: "O-Okay... But try not to touch anything in there too much."

Heisuke-kun gave me an airy smile as he went for the door.

Heisuke Toudou: "I know, I know. Well, then. Night, Chizuru."

As soon as Heisuke-kun left, a stillness suddenly swept across the room. If I really thought about it, with my father gone now, it was probably the first time in a long while that I wasn't home alone.

Chizuru Yukimura: "It's kind of like having a new family member. It feels really weird."

The truth was that I'd known Heisuke-kun for over a decade, and he might've been basically like family, but… While mulling over things I couldn't quite get a good grasp of, I stifled a yawn.

Chizuru Yukimura: "I should also head to bed soon..."

I quickly changed into my pajamas, turned off the lights, and crawled under the covers. However.

Chizuru Yukimura: "...... ...Nghhh… ...I can't sleep..."

Strangely enough, I was wide awake, and I didn't know why. Maybe it was my lifestyle during the winter break that was throwing me off my rhythm. Or maybe there was another reason… I gently pulled the covers over myself as I turned over.

Chizuru Yukimura: "I also stayed up late during New Year's Eve, so that might be it..."

I shouldn't have scolded Heisuke-kun about doing the same...

Chizuru Yukimura: "I have to get my daily routine back to normal in time for the new school term."

As I tossed and turned, I spotted my stuffed toy dog that I had put beside my bed. I gave it a smile, albeit a tired one. It was the spitting image of the one I wanted when I was small. While I was happy to receive something that I had wanted before, what made me happier still was that Heisuke-kun had remembered, all these years later. That, and the fact that he still felt the same as he did back then. I gently reached for my dog plushie, and hugged it tenderly. At that moment...

Chizuru Yukimura: ...?

I heard a small noise coming from the front door, and sat up abruptly.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Was that a door closing...?"

It couldn't have been...a thief, surely? If that was the case, there was one thing I could think of. I got out of bed, threw on a jacket on top of my pajamas, and opened the door.

As I slowly opened the front door, a cold gust hit my cheeks. Shivering, I took a step outside. And there was Heisuke-kun, staring at the sky above. 

Chizuru Yukimura: "...Heisuke-kun, you'll catch a cold like this."

Heisuke Toudou: "Ah... My bad, Chizuru. Did I wake you up?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "No, don't worry, I couldn't sleep. I've been awake the whole time."

Heisuke Toudou: "S'that right? ...Well, I guess it'd be natural you wouldn't be able to sleep well with a random guy sleeping under your roof."

Chizuru Yukimura: "I mean, I said this earlier... You're not some random man. You're Heisuke-kun."

Heisuke Toudou: ".........Yeah. We are childhood friends, after all."

Heisuke-kun looked up at the sky again, his eyes half-closed. His gaze looked similar to when he had been staring at me earlier. It was as if he were looking somewhere terribly far away.

Heisuke Toudou: "Hey, look. I don't know if it's 'cause it's cold out, but the stars look crazy nice tonight. There's the moon, and... What's this one? Scorpio?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "I think Scorpio's a summer constellation, though… Isn't that Orion's Belt?"

Heisuke Toudou: "Oh, yeah, I know that one!"

Eventually the lights in my house went out, revealing even more of the stars shining brightly in the moonlit sky. It was like the dazzling, starry sky was within arm's  reach, and we gazed upon it for a while… Before long, Heisuke-kun let out a sigh of satisfaction, and looked at me with a droll smile.

Heisuke Toudou: "It's pretty cold out after all. You should head back inside."

I said―


[Good night]

[I want to look for a bit longer]


I shook my head at Heisuke-kun's suggestion.

Chizuru Yukimura: "...Could I look at the stars with you just a little longer?"

Heisuke Toudou: "Huh...?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "I don't know. It just feels like it'd be a waste if I went to sleep now, tonight."

Heisuke Toudou: "I mean, I wanna chat with you a little longer too...But you're basically in your pajamas out here. You'll get sick, it’s so cold out right now."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Alright, then wait here just a moment!"


Chizuru Yukimura: "I'm back!"

I came back in after a little under three minutes. When he saw what I was carrying, Heisuke-kun's eyes went round.

Heisuke Toudou: "Is this a blanket? And is that... hot cocoa?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "I think we can stay warm with this. Can you scooch over there, Heisuke-kun?"

Heisuke Toudou: "Ahhh, it's so nice and warm... It's like it's warming me up from inside my belly..."

 

(CG get!°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°)

The fragrant steam wafting from the hot cocoa caressed our cheeks. The sensation of being warmed up from the inside made us sigh with relief.

Heisuke Toudou: "Thanks, Chizuru."

Chizuru Yukimura: "It's no problem. Like I said before, I wanted to see the stars with you, too."

Heisuke Toudou: "The two of us stargazing, huh...? We did this when we were kids, too."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Yeah, like when we had to observe stars for our homework. Or when my dad was away for work, and you let me stay over at your place. ...It's almost like now, really. It feels the same as when we were children."

Heisuke Toudou: "...It's not the same."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Huh?"

Heisuke Toudou: "At least, for me... I feel differently now to when I was a kid."

Chizuru Yukimura: "What does that..."

Heisuke Toudou: "Chizuru. Do you...feel the same as when you were a kid?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "......"

Heisuke-kun's eyes looked infinitely more mature than the way they did when we were younger. His eyes and his words pinned me where I sat, and I couldn't find the words.

Chizuru Yukimura: "W-Well, I..."I was like a broken doll, with my mouth flapping open and shut, before―

Heisuke Toudou: "Sorry. I said something weird there,"he said with a laugh and looked away. "Right, I've drunk my hot cocoa, and my body's all warmed up… I know you said you couldn't sleep, but do you feel like it now?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Y-Yeah, I probably could..."

Though earlier it felt like I couldn't fall asleep for a different reason. I didn't know whether Heisuke-kun knew how I felt as he gave me a smile and stood up.

Heisuke Toudou: "It's about time we head back in. C'mon, Chizuru."

I went back to the house with Heisuke-kun. The same house... It felt both weird and natural at the same time, somehow. I gently opened the door.


It was the third day into the New Year― Heisuke-kun's parents came back home, so our little sleepover had come to an end without incident. I felt grateful towards Heisuke-kun's parents, especially since they bought me a souvenir… But it looked like they gave Heisuke-kun a scolding. 

After a lot of bustling and commotion, the third day of the year was over and done with. I was all alone in my room, but, for some reason, I was engulfed in a flood of strange, hazy emotions. I felt kind of relieved, but also lonely… With those feelings in mind, I got ready to go to bed.