Hakuouki SSL: Chapter 5 (Saitou Hajime)

 Chapter 5

This chapter was translated by shizuumi151 and yuugs, and proofread by kuririn, yuugs, and dei-hime!


One day...

The moment I opened the classroom door that morning, the students inside stopped talking all at once and turned to look in my direction. Even when I just stood up from my seat and started walking, I could feel everyone's gazes following me. 

...Now that I thought about it… The atmosphere at Hakuo Academy had been sort of weird since this morning. 

We were well into the new semester. The unforgiving chill of winter was finally beginning to let up. Since the start of February, I'd grown used to rubbing my shaking hands together while walking to and from school. 

After completing the most arduous class of the week― Monday first period―I frowned, thinking about the odd feeling that had been growing since that morning.

Chizuru Yukimura: "......"

Classmate A: "......"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Um... Do you have a minute?"

Classmate A: ‘!! W-What is it, Yukimura? Oh, do you wanna tell me something? Whatever it is, you can tell me!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "...No. Sorry. It's nothing, actually."

Seeing the jumpy, nervous state my classmates were in made me frown even more deeply. And it wasn't just my classmates, either. Everyone I passed by in the hallways, all the senior students...absolutely everyone had been acting downright strange since that morning.

Classmate B: "......"

I'd lock eyes with people, and they'd quickly look away.

Classmate C: "......"

The opposite happened, too. People would shoot me an earnest look whenever I said something inconsequential. Honestly, just what in the world was going on with everyone...? 

And then, during the lunch break after morning classes, I just couldn't stand how everyone was staring at me anymore. I rushed out into the hallway as soon as the bell rang.  When I first enrolled, I got a lot of stares as the only female student, but even so...

Chizuru Yukimura: "I feel like people are staring at me even more than they did back then..."

In the courtyard. In the corridor outdoors. I grabbed my bento and walked off, hoping to get away from all the stares. I looked for anywhere I could go where no one else would be around. The place I finally settled on was the quietest room in the school.

Chizuru Yukimura: "―Excuse me."

Keisuke Sannan: "Oh? What an unexpected guest to have."

Susumu Yamazaki: "Yukimura-kun? What's wrong? Are you feeling sick?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "No, I feel fine, thank you. Actually..."

[time skip as she explains]

Keisuke Sannan: "...I see. You feel as though you're drawing even  more attention than usual."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Yes. I may just be being overly self-conscious, but I feel like there's always someone who's looking at me. Is there anything...strange about me today? Like my appearance, or..."

Maybe I had bed-head, for example. Or maybe my jacket was buttoned wrong. As I spun once in place to show them how I looked, Yamazaki-senpai quickly averted his eyes.

Susumu Yamazaki: "......"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Oh, something must be out of place then, huh? Is it my clothes? Or my face...?"

Susumu Yamazaki: "No, there's nothing wrong with your face. You look as good as you alw― um, you look like you always do!" Yamazaki-senpai hurriedly shook his head for some reason. 

Sannan-sensei smiled wryly and said:

Keisuke Sannan: "I haven't seen the situation firsthand,  so this may be mere conjecture, but… could it be that all the students in your vicinity look restless and agitated?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Ah, yes. Now that you put it that way, I think that's right. Someone nearly jumped out of their skin earlier when I called out to them. I wonder if I did something wrong without noticing, somehow...?"

Keisuke Sannan: "I suppose. You may be correct, in a certain sense."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Huh...?"

Keisuke Sannan: "Hehe, in short, you are at fault for being too attractive."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Whaaat...!?"

Keisuke Sannan: "I think you will come to understand what I mean soon enough. Isn't that right, Yamazaki-kun?"

Susumu Yamazaki: "...I do not understand why you're trying to drag me into this."

Sensei had called me 'attractive'... Could it be that he was teasing me...? I reflexively shot him a reproachful glare, but he showed no signs of noticing. He gave me a sweet smile and spoke again.

Keisuke Sannan: "Ah, more importantly, it seems as though you have yet to eat your lunch."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Yes. I couldn't stand to stay in the classroom any longer, so I didn't eat there."

Keisuke Sannan: "Well, then, why don't you eat here? It seems you brought along your bento."

I felt that he had deftly dodged my questions somehow, but… I decided that I'd take him up on his offer for now and gave a little nod. I ended up staying much longer than I'd intended to. By the time I left the infirmary, I had very little of my lunch break remaining.


Chizuru Yukimura: "I'm pretty sure that my first afternoon class is math with Nagakura-sensei..." Maybe it was because I had had a good meal, or because I had talked with those two, but I felt a little less anxious. "...But, for the time being, I need to find somewhere to kill a little more time."

Then, as I walked off, away from where math would take place, a huge obstacle blocked my path and my vision.

Shinpachi Nagakura: "Whoops! Where are you off to, Yukimura-kun? Don't you have math in just a bit? If you wanna skip my class, then I don't wanna hear about it!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "No, I wasn't intending to do that..."

Shinpachi Nagakura: "Hm? Well, where are you going then? Toilet?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "......" Nagakura-sensei sometimes was a little...lacking in tact.  "No, that's not it. Actually..."

[time skip as she explains]

Shinpachi Nagakura: "So your classmates are acting kinda weird, huh? I see."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Do you know something about it?"

Shinpachi Nagakura: "Well, that's, you know… It's just that time of year." He folded his arms, nodding sagely to himself as he replied. "The day that men both dream of and dread… Valentine's Day!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Oh..."

I hadn't been consciously aware of it because there were still a couple of days left before the 14th, but now that I thought about it, it was already February.  Valentine's ads usually flooded the city around now. That would more or less explain all the attention I had been getting since that morning. It was actually a bigger mystery that I hadn't noticed sooner...

Shinpachi Nagakura: "You're the only one in the whole school who can do something for Valentine's Day, Yukimura-kun. Who does the school idol's heart belong to? Anyone would be interested in finding that out."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Please stop. This is so embarrassing… Incidentally, how about you, Nagakura-sensei? You sound like you're excited for Valentine's Day."

Shinpachi Nagakura: "Of course. This year, I'm definitely going to get chocolate from some beautiful ladies for once!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "'For once,' huh..." I was sort of wondering if he'd ever gotten any before, but I decided not to ask for the moment.

Shinpachi Nagakura: "Well, I think that there are tons of guys who are hoping to get chocolate from you, but… If you feel obligated to go around and give some to every one of 'em...no matter how much you have, it'll never be enough. It'll at least be peaceful around here until the 14th, so just forget about it for now! C'mon, let's head to class!"

After he had explained what was going on,  Nagakura-sensei started walking, leading the way to the classroom.  

Would it be easier for me to go back in if he was there with me...? I decided to follow after him. 

Chizuru Yukimura: "Valentine's Day, hmm..."

Now that he’d mentioned it, I realized I really did need to start thinking about it.  The holiday was inching closer and closer. 

‘What should I make this year...?’ 


My afternoon classes felt like they'd lasted longer than usual, but they were finally over. A feeling of freedom came over me as the final bell rang. School had finished for today. The moment homeroom ended, I left the classroom. 

Thanks to the chats I had during lunch break, I knew the reason why everyone was acting like that, but that didn't change how uncomfortable it made me.  On the contrary, now that I knew what everyone was expecting from me, I felt more and more like I couldn't stand to stay there a second longer. 

Chizuru Yukimura: "Phew..."

As the sun began to set, the shadow of all those chocolatey expectations caused my face to fall.  Soon enough, the day that gave women the courage to confess their love would roll around.  A day where girls gave both chocolate and their hearts to the object of their desires, hoping to start something.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Who in the world should I give―" I was shaken from my thoughts by some sort of  commotion going on right in front of me. "What's with this crowd...?"

There was a throng of people, all crowded around some sort of notice board affixed to the hallway wall. I spotted some people I recognized amidst the crowd and called out to them.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Amagiri-senpai, Shiranui-senpai!"

Kyuuju Amagiri: "Oh, it's Yukimura-kun. Are you on your way home?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "I was, but… What's going on over here?"

Kyou Shiranui: "Don'tcha think it'd be faster just to see it? Hey, you―move it or lose it!"

I stepped into the space Shiranui-senpai had made for me and began to read the bulletin aloud.  

Chizuru Yukimura: "'Announcement― Beginning tomorrow, students will undergo random personal effects inspections for a week. Entertainment and gaming systems, as well as unnecessary food and drink, will be confiscated’...!?"

Kyuuju Amagiri: "Starting tomorrow and lasting for one week. In other words, until Valentine's day. The perfect  plan to eliminate any potential chocolate-giving."

Kyou Shiranui: "And the only person nasty enough to think this up… Well, you can take a guess, yeah?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Don't tell me...it's Kazama-senpai?"

Kyou Shiranui: "Naw, it ain't our boss. He's aiming for the opposite, actually."

Kyuuju Amagiri: "Yes. Contrary to this announcement, Kazama-sama is impatiently awaiting his chocolates."

Chizuru Yukimura: "So, if it's not him, then it's..."

???: "It hurts to be called ‘nasty,’ you know?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Kaoru...!"

Pushing his way through the crowd, Kaoru strode swiftly up to where we were standing. 

Chizuru Yukimura: "Kaoru, what does this mean? Is this notice from the disciplinary committee?"

Kaoru Nagumo "Of course. It's our job to correct any disruptions to order within the school." 

Chizuru Yukimura: "Why are you doing such a thing...?"

Kaoru Nagumo: "Why? Isn't it obvious? If we take no preventative measures, the riffraff won't have a shred of shame coming to pester you for obligation chocolates. But if it's banned from the school grounds entirely, everyone will have to give up, right? You should be grateful to have such a kind older brother."

Chizuru Yukimura: "But, if things are like this now, if I happen to bring romantic chocolates, won't they end up being confiscated, too...?"

Kaoru Nagumo: “! ...R-...Romantic chocolate, you say? Hmph, well, say whatever you like. If I recall… You don't have anyone you want confess to in the first place, right?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Well..."

Kaoru Nagumo: "Or...don't tell me you intend to confess to someone like Toudou or Okita, or even Saitou...!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "I-I didn't say anything like that...!"

Kaoru continued to rattle off a rapid-fire stream of questions while completely ignoring my objections. How should I put this...? I had had no idea he was even capable of looking as frustrated as he did now.

Kaoru Nagumo: "Anyway, you're still too young! You absolutely can't bring any chocolate! Got it? You absolutely cannot!" Kaoru went to the trouble of reminding me twice before he briskly marched away. I was left dumbfounded in his wake and turned around to face Amagiri-senpai and Shiranui-senpai. 

Chizuru Yukimura: "...Amagiri-senpai, Shiranui-senpai. I'm sorry you had to see such a shameful display."

Kyou Shiranui: "I mean, I don't mind, but… What even was that?"

Kyuuju Amagiri: "It seems that the inner workings of an older brother's mind are just as mysterious as those of a woman's..."


After that, I parted ways with Amagiri-senpai and Shiranui-senpai and passed through the front gate on my way home. Even if I set aside the random inspections for now, I couldn't escape the fact that Valentine's Day was fast approaching.

Chizuru Yukimura: "I really don't have a choice. I need to start thinking about what chocolates to make… And the person I want to give chocolates to, huh?" My mumbled words turned to white fog as they left my mouth, floating up out of anyone’s reach in the pink sky.

Just one week left until Valentine's Day.  

I wondered whether anyone would accept these sweet, aching feelings in my heart...


As the time for Homeroom drew closer, the school halls were full of students as lively as ever as they prepared for class. People standing around chatting with friends; people who'd just arrived at school; people looking spent from morning practice... Students of all sorts came and went along the corridor as I made a bee-line for my classroom.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Although…They're not staring at me as much as they were yesterday."

Wherever I went yesterday, I'd lock eyes with students who were hoping to get chocolates, which had made me incredibly uncomfortable.

Chizuru Yukimura: "I wonder if it's like Kaoru said, and the personal effects inspection ended up working..."

I felt conflicted: disappointed and relieved in equal measure. I let out a sigh. The school rules prohibited bringing chocolates on Valentine’s. Which basically meant that any opportunity I had to tell the person I liked how I felt was snatched away. Of course, there were other options, like bringing my chocolates the next day...

Chizuru Yukimura: "...Seems like I still want to bring chocolates on Valentine's Day, after all, though."

On Valentine's Day, not the day after. And here at school, the place we had spent all our time together. Not anywhere else. With all the things we'd gone through this past year, I wanted to tell him about the feelings I had for him.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Would Saitou-senpai even accept my chocolates if I brought them...?"

My chest tightened for a moment, and I pressed a hand against it while I reached for the door to my classroom. As I did, I ended up listening in on the voices I could hear inside.

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "Hold on a minute! That's not a prohibited item!"

Prefect A: "Rules are rules. Any kind of snack will be confiscated."

Ibuki-kun's scream pierced my ears. In the middle of the uproar with him were students who had disciplinary committee armbands on.

Prefect B: "We'll add to your strike count if you go against this. Accumulating ten strikes will land you a penalty."

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "Ngh..."

Prefect A: "Learn your lesson from this, and don't bring any prohibited belongings into school again."

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "Y-You brutes...! This is tyranny!"

The disciplinary committee members left as Ibuki-kun shouted after them. Then, he collapsed on the spot, all his strength having left him. I rushed over to him in a panic.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Ibuki-kun, are you okay!?"

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "Ah, ahhh, Yukimura...?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "What in the world happened?"

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "...Bread crusts..."

Chizuru Yukimura: "What?"

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "They said the bread crusts I brought for my lunch were prohibited and confiscated them...! Why won’t they get it!? Those bread crusts weren't some snack! They were a main course for me!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "......"

I thought that bread crusts barely counted as a snack either way, though...

Classmate A: "I feel ya, Ibuki! They confiscated the new game I got as well!"

Classmate B: "They pulled out my cough drops and confiscated those as ‘snacks,’ too..."

Classmate C: "My pudding... Give me back my puddiiiing!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "...So it's not just games and comics like usual. They're confiscating sweets as well?"

Ryuunosuke Ibuki: "Yeah. It's like they're just trying to pick a fight with us. Not only that, but having prohibited items gets you strikes this time. If you get up to ten strikes, you have to do mandatory volunteer work for the student council."

Chizuru Yukimura: "They're going that far over this...?"


My classmates all started talking amongst themselves. Taking it all in, I took my seat with a frown on my face. It seemed that the disciplinary committee's tyranny wouldn't stop at a one-time thing in the morning. Disciplinary committee members even came around afterwards, during our break time… Some people they had confiscated stuff from this morning had even more things taken from them. I had thought Kaoru was just trying to protect me by using these random inspections to stop people from harassing me into giving them chocolates, but...

Chizuru Yukimura: "Still, isn't this going a little overboard...?"

That's how I felt when I decided to head over to the disciplinary committee room during lunch.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Excuse me."

As I opened the door to the science lab, the sharp odor of chemicals struck my nose. I nervously stepped into the lab, and the person inside turned around.

Hajime Saitou: "Yukimura? You don't usually come here."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Saitou-senpai..."

Hajime Saitou: "Do you need something? Nagumo's not here yet, if you're looking for him."

Chizuru Yukimura: "That's fine. I don't really need to see him today. I just wanted to ask about the personal effects inspections."

Hajime Saitou: "...Those inspections, huh...?" Saitou-senpai's expression darkened the moment he'd heard those words. 

Mixed feelings brewed inside my own heart, and I timidly spoke up.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Um, how do you feel about them, senpai?"

Hajime Saitou: "......The rules are set. I have a responsibility to carry them out, as a disciplinary committee member. However, even if they say it's a rule, I do think it's gotten a bit too strict this time."

It's true that there've been plenty of personal effects inspections conducted this year… But compared to any other time before this, I thought both the penalties and the distinct differences in the timing of inspections were unreasonable.  As I brought up the incident this morning, Saitou-senpai made a conflicted face.

Hajime Saitou: "Though I feel bad for Ibuki, there'd be no point if the penalties weren't strict."

Chizuru Yukimura: "But going so far as to get strikes for bringing food...?"

Hajime Saitou: "...That's also just the way it is. Any snacks will be treated as unnecessary, and are prohibited."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Then… would my chocolates also be ‘unnecessary’...?"

Hajime Saitou: "Ngh..."

What I wanted to say slipped out, and clearly. I managed to hold in a gasp, but I couldn't muster the words to take back what I said.

Chizuru Yukimura: "S-Sorry! For saying something so..."

Hajime Saitou: "...No, it's alright. You have a point. As a student, I naturally understand that everyone brings ‘unnecessary’ items to school now and again… But I do have my doubts about how the personal effects inspections are being implemented this time. The number of strikes for bringing Valentine's chocolates seems rather excessive, too."

Chizuru Yukimura: "The number of strikes... for chocolates...?"

Hajime Saitou: "Haven't you heard? They decided that they'd give strikes for prohibited items this time."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Yeah, I did, from Ibuki-kun. That how many strikes you get is different, depending on the item confiscated."

Actually, there were lots of strikes you could get for that, like two for video games and one for snacks. When I explained what I'd heard, Saitou-senpai nodded with a sigh.

Hajime Saitou: "What will get you the most strikes is chocolate. Specifically, if a girl brings in chocolate on Valentine's Day, that's ten strikes."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Ten!? ...So there was such a rule as that..."

Hajime Saitou: "Yes. No matter how I think about it, I can't imagine that this isn't targeting you specifically. ...How do you feel about this? That you have to deal with such an unfair rule made just for you?"

Seeing Saitou-senpai's grimace, I said…


[If I bear with it…]

[It's a bit too much…]


Chizuru Yukimura: "...I definitely think they're taking it too far. Part of the inspection helps me out as well, so I can’t … But whatever the goal of it is, I don't think there's any need to be this strict and work on such a large scale. Not to mention the fact that there have already been loads of people who've had their things confiscated..."

Hajime Saitou: "......"

Saitou-senpai listened quietly to what I had to say. Maybe I said a bit too much. Before I could add anything else, in my worry, Saitou-senpai beat me to it:

Hajime Saitou: "I think you're right. This rule is excessively strict." Saying that, he let out a long, exhausted sigh. "Nagumo was the one who spearheaded this. It looks like we'll have to chat when he gets here."

Chizuru Yukimura: "...Would that be okay?"

Hajime Saitou: "Yeah. I also think they're going overboard this time, in the end. Not to mention… it would be terrible if you weren't able to bring your Valentine’s chocolates."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Eh?"

I looked at Saitou-senpai's face, trying to figure out what he meant by that.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Uh, um, does that...?"

Hajime Saitou: "...Oh, no, it was nothing, just a random thought. It's just a hope of mine, or maybe something like a wish..."

Chizuru Yukimura: "...Then... can’t I hear why? Whether it's a ‘random thought’ or a ‘wish’, I think hearing more about that would be… important to me."

Hajime Saitou: "......"

Saitou-senpai's eyes pinned me in place, and I found myself paralyzed. They were enthralling; it was like looking into the depths of the sea. I didn't notice that I'd been holding my breath until his lips parted and he spoke, slow and measured.

Hajime Saitou: "...I think your chocolates..."

Kaoru Nagumo: "Hey, Saitou! Did you make that list of prohibited items?"

Chizuru Yukimura: !?

Hajime Saitou: "N-Nagumo!? Why are you here...!?"

Kaoru Nagumo: "Huh? What do you mean, 'why'? This is the disciplinary committee room."

Hajime Saitou: "O-Oh, um. You're, right...but..."

Kaoru Nagumo: "Also, Chizuru? Why're you here..." Kaoru looked at me quizzically, and I shook my head emphatically before speaking.

Chizuru Yukimura: "I-I just wanted to talk to a disciplinary committee member..."

Hajime Saitou: "Hold it. Let me take it from here. Nagumo, listen to me."

Kaoru Nagumo: "What? I'm busy."

Hajime Saitou: "It's about the personal effects inspection this time. What do you think of it?"

Kaoru Nagumo: "Well, this is pretty out of nowhere…Dissatisfied with it, are you, Saitou?" 

Hajime Saitou: "I wouldn't say ‘dissatisfied’... but I do have my doubts."

Kaoru Nagumo: "Hmph... The disciplinary committee's gotten permission from Hijikata-sensei for our activities. Though I didn't think there'd be room for doubt about them."

Hajime Saitou: "But even with the strikes, the chocolate penalty is much too unfair."

Kaoru Nagumo: "Really... That's an odd hang-up to have. Do you have some reason why not being able to bring chocolate would bother you?"

Hajime Saitou: "...No. I've simply always thought these rules were unfair..."

Saitou-senpai frowned, looking like he was going to keep speaking… But Kaoru, clearly irritated, held up a hand before Saito-senpai could go on.

Kaoru Nagumo: "That's enough. Make no mistake; the restrictions will be enforced, no matter what. And Saitou, are you telling me you want to go against a rule that Hijikata-sensei himself approved?"

Hajime Saitou: "......"

Chizuru Yukimura: "...I guess there's just no helping it."

He talked to Kaoru a little more after that, but Kaoru insisted that it was fine, since it'd been approved. We couldn't get any rebuttal in, in the end, and left the science lab. 

Hajime Saitou: "...I'm sorry, Yukimura. If I could've just persuaded him..."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Don't say that... You don't need to apologize for anything. Like Kaoru said, if the rule has been approved, there won't really be any way for us to oppose it."

Hajime Saitou: "You're...not wrong, but..."

Saitou-senpai muttered through a clenched jaw, before he went completely silent. He was a part of the disciplinary committee, but also harbored his own doubts. Was that a dilemma for him? He was a model disciplinary committee member who had honored the rules so far.  He must've felt conflicted over it.

Chizuru Yukimura: "...It's alright, Saitou-senpai. It's true there's plenty about this that's pretty harsh… But if I don't bring anything that could flag the personal effects inspection, I should be fine anyway."

Hajime Saitou: "......" With the way he silently stared at me, I couldn't tell if he could understand the smile I showed him. "...I'm sorry." Saying no more, he left, his shoulders sagging in defeat.

Chizuru Yukimura: "......"

I'd have other chances to hand chocolates to Saitou-senpai,  so I could still try making chocolates for him anyway. 

But...

Chizuru Yukimura: "I wanted to be able to give them to him at school on Valentine's Day..."

My whisper didn't reach Saitou-senpai, and faded into the air. If I were able to bring my chocolates to school,  I might've been able to put words to the feelings I had in my heart. But I didn't. I held onto them as they remained unfulfilled, and I turned on my heel and left.


I wanted just a little more time. 

But time still marched on regardless, and the days couldn’t very well get longer just because I wanted them to… 

Before I even knew it, the calendar already read mid-February.

 I spent my Saturday afternoon preparing for Valentine's Day, which was fast approaching…


I visited the Hakuo Academy cafeteria with Osen-chan and Kosuzu-chan over the weekend.

Sen Suzuka: "This is Hakuo Academy's cafeteria? I saw a little bit of it during the cultural festival, but it really is spacious."

Kosuzu Suzuka: "Ours is a little bit smaller. Lots of people bring bento lunches anyway."

Usually, I was the only girl here, so it felt really strange seeing other girls in school like this. The two of them looked at the unfamiliar menu and grinned.

Sen Suzuka: "Look, Kosuzu! Doesn't this pudding sound delicious?"

Kosuzu Suzuka: "Osen-san, we're not here to eat or anything..."

Well, Kosuzu-chan was right. We didn't come here today to eat...

Genzaburou Inoue: "I hope you three weren't waiting long. Everything's ready now."

Chizuru Yukimura: "That must have been a lot of work, Inoue-san. Thank you so much."

Kosuzu Suzuka: "But is it really alright? For people who aren't students here to borrow your kitchen like this?"

Genzaburou Inoue: "You've already gotten permission, haven't you? Besides, you're from Shimabara Girls' High School. There's no need to be shy."

Sen Suzuka: "Well, we'll take you up on your offer, then… So? How about we get started? Time to make chocolates!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Yeah!"

Genzaburou Inoue: "Now, I don't want to get in the way of you girls, so I'll stay in the back and leave you to it. You're free to use whatever equipment you need in the kitchen. Just be careful with the stove."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Sure thing! Thank you so much!"  After thanking him, we first lined up all the ingredients we had brought in a row.

Chizuru Yukimura: "...Fresh cream. Unsalted butter. Cocoa powder..."

Kosuzu Suzuka: "Wheat flour, eggs, baking powder..."

Sen Suzuka: "Chocolate to use, more chocolate to use. Oh, and some chocolate to use."

......

Chizuru Yukimura: "...Um, Osen-chan? Are you making a life-sized chocolate statue?"

Sen Suzuka: "Huh? What, Chizuru-chan, would you be the model for it?"

Kosuzu Suzuka: "It's surreal to imagine that being eaten..."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Absolutely not!"

Sen Suzuka: "Oh, boo... Well, we're not even making one big chocolate in the first place anyway. We'll be making lots of smaller ones."

Kosuzu Suzuka: "Osen-san has a large circle of friends. She also needs to prepare some for her relatives."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Ohh, I see..."

Sen Suzuka: "It must be nice for you two. You look like you're making chocolates to give to your special someone."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Huh!?"

Sen Suzuka: "Well, I don't know if you have anyone like that to give chocolates to, Chizuru-chan… But lately, Kosuzu's gotten close with that Ibuki-kun guy we met at the pool, see."

Chizuru Yukimura: "S-Since when...!?"

Kosuzu Suzuka: "I-It's not really like that… These chocolates are just friendly ones..." With her ingredients cradled in hand, Kosuzu-chan's expression softened tenderly, her muttered protests weak. I felt a bit jealous seeing that, but I also found myself making a similarly fond face.

Sen Suzuka: "Now, then, how about we make those chocolates?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Yeah! Let's do this!"

I wondered if I'd ever make such a tender face as I put my heart into what I made. But either way, I had to do my best making them...! 

Before anything else, our first step was to warm things up. The chocolate we heated inside the bowl slowly started to melt.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Now, next is..."

With the chocolate's sweet-smelling fragrance, it was only natural that I was reminded of someone.


 (CG get!°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°)

While I was making my chocolate cupcakes, my head was full of thoughts about Saitou-senpai.

Chizuru Yukimura: "I wonder if Saitou-senpai will be happy to have these..." 

I hadn't made any mistakes so far in making them. Since I was thinking about him while baking, I was sure I could make it delicious. It was a given that they’d turn out well.

Chizuru Yukimura: "But..."

When I brought them back into the school, I’d be breaking the rules set by the disciplinary committee. If these were confiscated during one of the inspections, I wouldn't be able to give them to Saitou-senpai… Moreover, if I secretly brought them in and gave them to Saitou-senpai, who honored the rules so much, he might not actually be able to feel happy to receive them...


While I thought about that, at the end of the day… Even with the tasty chocolates prepared, I wasn't even sure that I could bring them to school in the first place...

Chizuru Yukimura: "Hmmm..." Maybe I could trick the Disciplinary Committee one way or the other during the inspections... 

Osen-chan and Kosuzu-chan cocked their heads a little at me. Maybe because they realized that I'd stopped working at some point.

Sen Suzuka: "What's wrong, Chizuru-chan?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Nothing, I just don't know if I can bring these to school, even though I've made them."

Kosuzu Suzuka: "...What do you mean?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "The truth is..."

[Transition while she explains]

Sen Suzuka: "That's what the inspections are for...? What the heck!? That's so mean of them!"

Kosuzu Suzuka: "The fact they're doing it now means they're totally targeting Valentine's Day."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Yeah..."

Hearing the situation, the two were infuriated. They stopped making their chocolates and looked ready to run over and give the Disciplinary Committee a beating right this second. I shook my head in a hurry at them.

Chizuru Yukimura: "C-Calm down, you two. It's already been decided anyway..."

Sen Suzuka: "But, isn't that just totally tyrannical!? Maybe if I go and give them a complaint or two..."

Kosuzu Suzuka: "Osen-san. You'd be sure to cause havoc if you did that, so try and bear with it. ...Although, even though it's definitely unfair, I feel like there is some point to it. Speaking practically, you have fewer boys to worry about wanting chocolates from you thanks to that notice."

Chizuru Yukimura: "You...have a point, but..."

Sen Suzuka: "Mm..."

Kosuzu Suzuka: "You can't really do much seeing as it's already been decided, and if there's someone you want to give chocolates to, you could just do it on your way home, right?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Yeah..." Honestly, Kosuzu-chan might've been right. Even if I wanted to give chocolates to someone, there wasn't any reason I had to bring them to school...

Sen Suzuka: "...I think that’d be a waste. I mean, Valentine's Day alone is a whole page in this chapter of our lives as high schoolers, right? There's meaning in giving chocolates to the person who you want at school, plus you'll make memories that way, too."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Y-Yeah... I guess that’s true too..."

Sen Suzuka: "If there's someone you wanna give them to no matter what, then this is the one chance you get this year! You can't give in to the rules!!"

Kosuzu Suzuka: "But I think it'd be really sad if you got your chocolates confiscated as a result."

Sen Suzuka: "...Well, whatever you end up doing, it’s all up to you, Chizuru-chan."

What was the right thing to do? I thought about that in the back of my mind as I finished preparing my cupcakes.


And then, Valentine's Day arrived. The sunlight shone through the rifts between the clouds draped here and there in the sky on my commute to school. The weather made me feel drowsy despite it being February, and I held back a yawn as I headed to school.

Chizuru Yukimura: "I hope that Osen-chan and Kosuzu-chan aren't as sleepy as I am right now."

Yesterday, after we finished making chocolates… Osen-chan and Kosuzu-chan came to my place to hang out until late at night. Osen-chan kept pushing me throughout the day to bring them...

Chizuru Yukimura: "...There was no way I could've, in the end."

I had my doubts about the rules, but… Saitou-senpai was a member of the disciplinary committee. I couldn't imagine he'd be happy with the chocolates I'd bring if they broke the school rules. My feelings wouldn't be able to reach him. So I had left the chocolates I had put my feelings into at home, and walked to school. 


There were loads of students making a commotion in front of the school gates this morning. Ten, or maybe it was twenty, people were stuck at the gates, making a fuss. The sight left me wide-eyed with surprise.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Did something happen...?"

Kai Shimada: "Oh, hi, Yukimura-kun. Good morning."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Good morning, Shimada-san. There are loads of people crowding around here… Did something happen?"

Kai Shimada: "It looks like the usual personal effects inspection. It looks like there's a hold-up since they're checking all students at the gates."

Now that he mentioned it, the students around me had their bags open, and I could tell that they were showing them to disciplinary committee members. I also let out a sigh internally, and opened my bag to take out its contents. And then―

Chizuru Yukimura: "What...!?"

I saw a vivid red ribbon poking out from the mouth of my bag when I opened it, and my eyes went round.

Kai Shimada: "Are those...chocolates!?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "W-Wait a second! I'm sure I left them at home...!"

But it was obvious from the wrapping that these were the chocolates I'd made for Saitou-senpai, no mistaking it. Then, at that moment… My phone rang with a message notification, spurring on my confusion.

Chizuru Yukimura: "From Osen-chan...?"

_____________

SUB: Good morniiing!

Good morniiing,  Chizuru-chan!

Is it about time to head to school?

I felt bad that I bothered you so late last night.

So...

Right as I was leaving, I snuck your chocolate into your bag.

_____________


Chizuru Yukimura: ".........Excuse me?"

_____________

SUB: RE: Good morniiing!

So that being said...

Good luck! ^^

_____________


Chizuru Yukimura: "Now's not the time to wish me luck, Osen-chan...!"

She was being far, far too reckless. My shoulders sagged in defeat. 

However.

Even while my head spun as I tried to think what to do, I somehow felt relieved at the same time.

Kai Shimada: "Looks like you've got yourself a good friend there."

Chizuru Yukimura: "...I do. I'll get her to buy me a parfait by the station the next time I see her to make it up to me." I let out a huff with a smile, and hid my chocolates again. "...It looks like I'll just have to brace myself for whatever happens next."

In any case, the school bell would ring for the start of classes soon. I didn’t have time to go back home.

Chizuru Yukimura: "I put my feelings for Saitou-senpai into these… I don't want them to be confiscated."

I steeled myself and walked towards the school gates. I could do this. I'd just make sure I wouldn't let the disciplinary committee stop me, somehow. Someone called out to me to stop, and I broke into a run. I had to reach my classroom first...!


[Minigame Victory]


As disciplinary committee members kept after me, I ran and ran to hide from them.

Prefect A: "Dammit, where'd she go? I thought I saw her go this way..."

Chizuru Yukimura: [hiding] "......" 

[Chizuru runs down the halls]

Chizuru Yukimura: "I've gotten this far. Just a little more to the classroom...!"

If I could make it to my classroom, I could stuff my chocolates into my desk tray, no problem. Or I could leave them with Ibuki-kun and they'd pass him by while they investigated my things. ...Though maybe I couldn't afford to let me guard down even then. 

I spotted two people standing in my way, and seeing who they were made me stop in my tracks in a panic.

Toshizou Hijikata: "No running in the hallways, Yukimura."

Kaoru Nagumo: "Who knew my little sister was a bit too easy to read? I thought you would show up if we waited here."

Chizuru Yukimura: "K-Kaoru...! And Hijikata-sensei...!"

A disciplinary committee member and his supervisor stood in front of me, and slowly started to speak.

Kaoru Nagumo: "Now, time for your personal effects inspection. Open your bag and show us what's inside."

Chizuru Yukimura: "I-I don't have anything..."

Kaoru Nagumo: "Don't tell me you ran like your life depended on it today because you have nothing on you."

Toshizou Hijikata: "It's not that I'd have any reason to distrust you… But if you don't have anything to be guilty for, you can show us and that'll be the end of it."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Ngh..."

I steadily retreated while squeezing my bag tightly in my grasp. But I'd been backed into a wall. I had nowhere to run.

Kaoru Nagumo: "It seems you've finally got the memo. Would've been better if you had from the start."

I gritted my teeth in frustration, and Kaoru looked pleased as his hand came closer. If they looked inside my bag, that'd be the end of the line. They'd spot it right away. They'd confiscate my chocolates―my feelings, and it'd all be over. I couldn't―

Chizuru Yukimura: "You can't!!"

―I wouldn't let them...!

Kaoru Nagumo: "Hngh...!?"

Toshizou Hijikata: "...Hey. What're you playing at, Yukimura?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "...You can give me strikes. I'll accept any volunteer work I'll have to do. But I put my feelings for Saitou-senpai into these, and I won't let you confiscate them...!"

I batted away Kaoru's hand with a hard breath and glared at him and Hijikata-sensei, shaking my head. Kaoru's expression was filled with anger, and his hand lunged out again.

Kaoru Nagumo: "You little...! You're disobeying your own brother!?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Ahh―!"

???: "―Wait."

Hajime Saitou: "......"

Chizuru Yukimura: "S―...Saitou-senpai...?"

My field of vision was blocked out by a boy's back. The person who had rushed to my defense, the one standing between Kaoru and I, glanced back over his shoulder at me, and gave me a small smile.

Hajime Saitou: "Yukimura. I heard you loud and clear. ...Leave the rest to me."

Toshizou Hijikata: "Saitou, huh… I'll hear you out, at any rate, but what did you mean just now?"

Hajime Saitou: "Hijikata-sensei. Nagumo, too.  I can't imagine that an honor student like Yukimura would bring in chocolate that would break the rules." 

Kaoru Nagumo: "Huh? Think about what you're saying… Her attitude just now means she has to be hiding some, no question!"

Hajime Saitou: "But you've not seen the genuine article for yourself."

Kaoru Nagumo: "That's what we're trying to check right now! Now move it, Saitou!" Kaoru snapped at him, agitated, and took a step towards me. But Saitou-senpai stood in his way, and lightly shook  his head.

Hajime Saitou: "This inspection is unreasonable in the first place. We ought to stop already."

Kaoru Nagumo: "...Don't you get it? This has Hijikata-sensei himself backing it―"

Hajime Saitou: "Hijikata-sensei may authorize it however much he wants. A mistake is still a mistake. Upholding the order in the academy is the disciplinary committee's responsibility, but it is not necessarily true that everything we do is the right or best way to do things."

Saitou-senpai’s words were sharp and precise as a blade, all of us fell silent: Kaoru, myself, and even Hijikata-sensei. And of course we would. Saitou-senpai was the very picture of a model student. For a student like him to go so far, opposing Hijikata-sensei without backing down an inch… It was totally unprecedented.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Senpai, just what are you...?"

Hajime Saitou: "...Trust me," he whispered so only I could hear. "Don't hand over your chocolates." He turned around to the other two again.

Toshizou Hijikata: "Saitou. You can say what you want, but the fact is that Yukimura bringing chocolates would disrupt the whole school. You complain that this is a mistake, but I want to hear your basis for saying it."

Hajime Saitou: "...It is as you say, Hijikata-sensei. Certainly, as she is the only female student in school, her conduct garners more attention than anyone else’s. It's also highly probable that she could cause an uproar with a single poor choice of action."

Chizuru Yukimura: "......"

I looked down at my feet, hearing what he said. He was absolutely right. I had come to this school as a student, not as a boy or a girl… but the reality that I was a girl wouldn't change. That was sure to cause any number of unexpected disturbances. 

Toshizou Hijikata: "Then you get it, don't you? That's why I gave Kaoru permission for these personal effects inspection, too. To prevent mayhem."

Hajime Saitou: "...I am noticing that these inspections have caused plenty of mayhem in their own right. Moreover… you frequently say that you won't treat Yukimura any differently from other students, Sensei. Yet despite that, this rule and its uniquely severe punishment were clearly established to target her alone. ...That being the case, it is hard to say this is ‘treating her like the others.’ I will not tolerate turning her into a scapegoat and stifling her like this."

Kaoru Nagumo: "......"

Toshizou Hijikata: "......"

Once more Saitou-senpai's words cleaved the air like a blade, and our surroundings once again fell into silence.

Kaoru looked offended. 

Hijikata-sensei looked puzzled. 

After a moment of silence, Hijikata-sensei cocked his head a little to one side.

Toshizou Hijikata: "Hold on a moment. Just now, you said only she'd get so many strikes, didn't you? What did you mean by that?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Oh... The personal effects inspection has strikes with it this time, it seems."

After I explained that in detail, Hijikata-sensei knitted his brows and looked at Kaoru. 

Well, 'glared at' might've been the more accurate term for it.

Toshizou Hijikata: "...Hey, hold up. I didn't hear about this."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Huh?"

Toshizou Hijikata: "Nagumo? I did give permission for the personal effects inspection... but what's this about strikes?"

Kaoru Nagumo: "It's nothing for you to be mad about. I got proper permission for it."

Toshizou Hijikata: "What!? Who allowed that? Kondou-san!? Sannan-san!?"

Kaoru Nagumo: "Why, from the student council president."

Toshizou Hijikata: "Kazama, that bastard...!"

Ahh… So that was why the penalty for getting a number of strikes was 'voluntary work for the student council'... Though I’d come to an uncomfortable sort of understanding, Hijikata-sensei looked as if he were developing a headache, and barked angrily:

Toshizou Hijikata: "Get that idiot Kazama over here right now! We're stopping the inspections!"


Then, after Kaoru reluctantly went to go get Kazama-senpai… Hijikata-sensei finally calmed down a bit, and turned back around to us.

Toshizou Hijikata: "This was down to my lack of due diligence. None of this would've happened if I’d been supervising properly. I'll apologize to the whole student body after, but this has troubled the two of you in particular, Saitou and Yukimura."

Chizuru Yukimura: "N-Not at all! You don't have to...!"

Hajime Saitou: "I should apologize instead for having talked back to you so impertinently."

Toshizou Hijikata: "No, I'm actually impressed. You're reasonable to a fault, I'd say. You didn't just blindly accept it, and stood your ground to call out that mistake for what it was. I'm blessed as a teacher that I could support a student such as yourself."

With that,  Hijikata-sensei left, a dry smile on his face. 

After watching him go, Saitou-senpai and I turned to each other with matching smiles on our faces...

...Things continued on like that for a bit. By the time Hijikata-sensei had left, our talk had gone past morning homeroom and eaten into first period.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Even if I get to class now, I'll have missed half of first period anyway."

Hajime Saitou: "Ahh... Then, there is one thing I'd like to sort out. Would you lend me a hand?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "What? Oh, sure."


Chizuru Yukimura: "Phew... This wall should be done now. Saitou-senpai, I've finished taking off all the papers here."

Hajime Saitou: "I've finished on my end, too. Let's head to the next floor, then."

There was some time left before second period. Saitou-senpai proposed that we take down the posters regarding the personal effects inspections. Since they weren't necessary any longer, it was better to take them down to avoid any misunderstandings. Then, from the hallways to the cafeteria…

...One by one, we took down all the posters down along the way, taking a break once we reached the rear garden.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Whew... There were a lot of them." 

Hajime Saitou: "Sorry to drag you into this. But you've been a great help."

A breeze ruffled our hair. Even though it was winter, it had gotten a little warm at noon, and it felt pleasant in a sleepy sort of way.

Chizuru Yukimura: "But it feels kind of strange. To be outside like this while everyone's in the middle of class."

Hajime Saitou: "Like you can't really relax, or you're doing something wrong, right..."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Hehe, you seem to get it. It's like we're playing hooky."

Since classes were in session, there wasn't a person in sight. The only sound to be heard was birdsong.

Hajime Saitou: "...You know, it almost feels like time has stopped."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Yeah... And it looks like there's no one here but us..."

Like we were the only two people in the world. I couldn't bring myself to say that, but I felt that Saitou-senpai knew it anyway. For some reason, an awkward silence fell between us.

Hajime Saitou: "......"

Chizuru Yukimura: "......"

Come to think of it…

[flashback to earlier]

Chizuru Yukimura: "But my feelings for Saitou-senpai are in these, and I won't let you confiscate them...!"


...He had totally heard me, hadn't he. I wondered what he would say if I asked him.

Chizuru Yukimura: "...Saitou-senpai. Um, thank you, again."

Hajime Saitou: "No, I should be the one thanking you, really."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Huh? Why...?"

Hajime Saitou: "I told you as well. I myself had my doubts about the inspections, originally. But I would've just obeyed while keeping them to myself, and not said anything about it."

Saitou-senpai said that, then fell silent. After a moment, he turned to me, and smile slowly spread across his lips.

Hajime Saitou: "...But when I thought about how absurd it was and what it would put you through, I couldn't sit still any longer. I wanted to protect you from such an irrational injustice… That's why I was able to give Hijikata-sensei my opinion head-on, as well. I was able to right this wrong, because of you… So thanks."

At some point, we'd gotten close enough we could see into each other’s eyes. But, strangely enough, it didn't feel embarrassing. Hearing how Senpai had thought all that for my sake, his feelings were made clear to me… 

I just felt so happy.

Chizuru Yukimura: "...If that's the case, that's all the more reason for me to thank you. The fact that you looked out for me, for my feelings..."

I took Saitou-senpai's hand, and gently placed my gift into the palm of his hand. It was a small chocolate cupcake whose sweet dough I’d poured my feelings into. Saitou-senpai took it from me, gazing upon it like it was something precious, before whispering.

Hajime Saitou: "You don't have to say any thanks. Your feelings are my own."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Does that mean..."

Hajime Saitou: "That's right. ...But… it’s too convenient of me to make you guess what that means. Even if you know, it's something I have to say out loud."

As he held the muffin close to his chest, his face drew close to mine. He was so close that our bangs touched when he spoke. So close that it tickled pleasantly as he gifted me with those precious words:

Hajime Saitou: "―I don't know when it was. Maybe not long after you enrolled here. Before I knew it, it was at the point where I was looking for you wherever I went. It was at the point where I felt at ease whenever I was with you. I began to feel lonely when you weren’t by my side. I began thinking I always wanted to be by your side. So..."

 (CG get!°˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°)

Hajime Saitou: "So, um― I care about you."

Chizuru Yukimura: "......"

I patiently looked into Saitou-senpai's eyes. That wasn't all of it. That wasn't enough. I imbued those thoughts into my gaze at him as he blushed and spoke again:

Hajime Saitou: "I think you are very likeable."

Chizuru Yukimura: "......"

Hajime Saitou: "...I. I'm fond of you. Yukimura."

Chizuru Yukimura: "......"

Hajime Saitou: "Ngh...! I love you! Chizuru!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "...I do too, Hajime-san."

I don't know who started it, but found ourselves wrapped in each other's embrace. As I was being held in Hajime-san's arms, as I held Hajime-san in my arms, I buried my head in the crook of his neck.

Hajime Saitou: "...It was a little mean of you to make me say that much."

Chizuru Yukimura: "S-Sorry......but if that's what got me to hear you say that, then I don't mind being mean."

Hajime Saitou: "Really, you..." He squeezed my hand in his, his cheeks still red. 

With this, I could almost forget about having class, basking in his blissful warmth. I murmured a quiet prayer to myself that this spell would last. That the chime that would end it might wait just one second longer…



‘I love you,’ he’d said. The words I'd been waiting so desperately to hear from Hajime-san were still ringing in my heart.

Some days after I had heard those precious words on Valentine's Day...


Heisuke Toudou: "Uwargh! We're totally gonna be late! Man, why didn't you wake me up sooner?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Wake you up...? I went right up to your front porch to meet you."

I was running to school with Heisuke-kun, as per usual.

Heisuke Toudou: "I’m sayin’ that’s not enough! C'mon, let's pick up the pace!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Ah! Heisuke-kun... Wait..."

Souji Okita: "Hmm? Hey, you two. What're you running for?" Okita-senpai greeted us with an air of composure, having left earlier than us. Heisuke-kun came to a stop in front of him.

Heisuke Toudou: "...Wait, if Souji's here then we're absolutely screwed for time."

Souji Okita: "Seriously? You sure have a way of putting things."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Okita-senpai... Good... Good mor―... morning..."

Souji Okita: "’Morning yourself. Hmmmm... Good thing I bumped into you here, Chizuru-chan."

I was completely exhausted as Okita-senpai started chasing after us, and approached me with the grin of a cat with the cream. 

Chizuru Yukimura: "W-What...do you...mean?"

Souji Okita "Ahh, don’t you worry about it. Now, you look pretty beat. How's about we take our time and walk instead?"

Heisuke Toudou: "Hey, what the heck are you talking about? As if we got the time for that!"

Souji Okita: "I wonder...? I mean, think about it. Come on, who's on duty for latecomers today...?"

Heisuke Toudou: "Oh... You're right! Sure, let's take it easy then," Heisuke-kun had been so anxious about being late… But now, he was somehow at ease, all smiles as he gave us a nod.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Eh? Um, why? We'll be late if we don't hurry."

Souji Okita: "It’s fine, we’re all good."

Heisuke Toudou: "Right, right. Slow and steady wins the race, yeah?"

Souji Okita: "...Heisuke. Not how you use the phrase, buddy."

I felt worried as I walked behind the two of them as they took their sweet time.

Hajime Saitou: "The three of you are late."

Heisuke Toudou: "Hold up, hold up, wait a minute. Uhhh, we're, uh, with Chizuru, see?"

Souji Okita: "What he said. We're with Chizuru-chan."

Hajime Saitou: "...And?"

Heisuke Toudou: "So, you know. C'mon, Hajime-kun, you get it."

Hajime Saitou: "I don't know what you're trying to say."

Heisuke Toudou: "I mean, you wouldn't want to mark down Chizuru as late, would you, Hajime-kun? You could, how to put it, pretend you were looking away..."

Hajime Saitou: "You're suggesting that I skimp on my duties as a disciplinary committee member?"

Heisuke Toudou: "Ahhhh, no no no! I didn't say anything like that! C'mon, cut us some slack, just a little bit!"

...So that's what this was all about. It wasn’t that I hadn’t thought it would turn out like this, but I certainly didn't think they'd seriously try it, either.

Chizuru Yukimura: "Um... Hajime-san. I'm sorry."

Hajime Saitou: "You have nothing to apologize for. I'm guessing that Heisuke overslept, after which you bumped into Souji, after which they prevented you from hurrying to school. Right?"

Chizuru Yukimura: "...Yes. That's right."

Hajime Saitou: "...Didn't I tell you before?  You should go to meet up with Heisuke earlier."

Chizuru Yukimura: "...I did. I went half an hour earlier than usual."

Hajime Saitou: "And you ended up arriving at the same time as usual… Sorry, I can’t just let you off but not them."

Chizuru Yukimura: "I understand. You pride yourself on your disciplinary committee work… I know how much you do."

Hajime Saitou: "Chizuru..."

Chizuru Yukimura: "Hajime-san..."

The sound of a camera shutter went off. I turned around to the source, and saw Okita-senpai pointing his camera at us with a smirk.

Heisuke Toudou: "Look, we've had a pretty long discussion. I'd like to get in sooner than later."

Souji Okita: "Man, this pic. It turned out so nice, I think I’ll send it to Nagumo specially. for. you~"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Y-You can't! He still doesn't know!"

Souji Okita: "Ohh…? That's some nice intel right there."

Whoops...

Okita-senpai looked at me and Hajime-sam, and in an instant, the corners of his mouth rose in a triumphant grin. Then, as if caught up in his momentum, Heisuke-kun started patting Hajime-san's shoulders like he was dusting them off.

Heisuke Toudou: "That’s gotta be a tough secret to keep, with him in the same committee as you, Hajime-kun. We can keep this on the down-low for you, though. Even though you might well be calling him your big brother someday..."

Hajime-san, standing in front of the two of them, stood still as his shoulders began to shake. Before long, he managed to wring out a few words.

Hajime Saitou: "Y...You two......Shall not pass. Come what may, I won't let either of you two pass this point."

Then, he turned to me, eyes blazing―

Hajime Saitou: "Chizuru. You go on ahead. Then...inform Hijikata-sensei about this… Please!"

Chizuru Yukimura: "Right! Got it!" I responded fervently to him, nodding back in kind.

Heisuke Toudou: "Ack―! Hey, no fair!"

Souji Okita: "Well then, I’ll just summon Nagumoーwhoops."

Hajime Saitou: "Souji… What in god's name did you do?"

Souji Okita: "Huh? Oh no, I guess my finger just... slipped?"

Hajime Saitou: "Just just said you were going to summon him, did you not?!"

Heisuke Toudou: "Well, what can you do? It's already been sent~"

Being found out by our friends had surely just added to the troubles Hajime-san would have to deal with from here on out… But I wondered if I was the only one who could see he looked a little happy as well...

Even if every day were like this, though, as long as I were by Hajime-san’s side...